Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of universe

1. Jul 4, 2011 #1
    In the Augest issue of Astronomy on page 57, it says the contents of universe is: 70% dark energy; 25% dark matter; 4% free hydrogen and helium; .5% stars; and .5% for everything else.
    Is the 4% correct? I thought intersteller matter (free hydrogen/helium) was only about 10% of the physical mass and stars 90%.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From what I've read, stars constitute about 10% of baryonic matter. The information you have looks correct.

4. Jul 4, 2011 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't there an extremely wide range of uncertainty on the ratio of baryonic matter in stars to baryonic matter not in stars?

5. Jul 4, 2011 #4
    Wikipedia says that half of the ISM is in molecular cloulds and in the Milky Way there are 6,000 cloulds each with 100,000 solar masses. Thus, the mass would be: 6 x 2 x e8 or 1.2 x e9 solar masses. This might be 1% of the mass of the e11 solar masses in the Milky Way (concervative estimate). Thus, I think the Astronomy article should say 4% stars not .5%.

6. Jul 4, 2011 #5

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That doesn't address the question of what the error bars are on all these numbers. Wouldn't surprise me at all if there were error bars amounting to a factor of 10.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook