1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass on a moving wedge

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2eofudg.jpg

This is a frictionless system with the wedge on a frictionless horizontal surface. When the system is released, the horizontal wedge (mass M) with diagonal angle theta moves to the left with constant acceleration a. What is it?

I hope I'm right when I say this is not a very easy question, because I spent ages on it but I'm still not sure what the answer is. Can someone please help me check the answer?

2. Relevant equations

The mass (=m) does not leave the wedge. Taking the perpendicular component of the wedge's acceleration,

[tex]ma sin \theta = mg cos \theta - N[/tex] where N is the normal reaction force between the wedge and the mass, directed perpendicular to the plane.

Applying Newton's second law, the horizontal acceleration on the wedge is solely created by the normal force. Therefore [tex]Ma = N sin \theta[/tex]. Then applying algebra,

[tex]a = \frac{mg sin\theta cos\theta}{M + m {sin}^2 \theta}[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2
    I think you have your answer. No values have been given for any of the variables so the best you can get is an expression for a.

Edit: I just worked it out myself and I got the same expression for a as you

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  4. Mar 5, 2009 #3
    All right... thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook