What is the acceleration of a mass on a moving wedge?

In summary, this conversation discusses a frictionless system with a wedge on a horizontal surface and a diagonal angle theta. The system is released and the wedge moves to the left with a constant acceleration a. The mass does not leave the wedge and the perpendicular component of the wedge's acceleration is equal to the weight of the mass minus the normal reaction force. Newton's second law is then applied to find that the horizontal acceleration is solely created by the normal force. After applying algebra, an expression for a is found. The conversation concludes with confirmation that the expression for a is correct.
bigevil

Homework Statement

2eofudg.jpg

This is a frictionless system with the wedge on a frictionless horizontal surface. When the system is released, the horizontal wedge (mass M) with diagonal angle theta moves to the left with constant acceleration a. What is it?

I hope I'm right when I say this is not a very easy question, because I spent ages on it but I'm still not sure what the answer is. Can someone please help me check the answer?

Homework Equations

The mass (=m) does not leave the wedge. Taking the perpendicular component of the wedge's acceleration,

[tex]ma sin \theta = mg cos \theta - N[/tex] where N is the normal reaction force between the wedge and the mass, directed perpendicular to the plane.

Applying Newton's second law, the horizontal acceleration on the wedge is solely created by the normal force. Therefore [tex]Ma = N sin \theta[/tex]. Then applying algebra,

[tex]a = \frac{mg sin\theta cos\theta}{M + m {sin}^2 \theta}[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have your answer. No values have been given for any of the variables so the best you can get is an expression for a.

Edit: I just worked it out myself and I got the same expression for a as you

Last edited:
All right... thanks :)

1. What is a mass on a moving wedge?

A mass on a moving wedge is a physical system in which a block of mass is placed on top of an inclined plane (wedge) that is moving with a constant velocity or acceleration.

2. How is the motion of a mass on a moving wedge described?

The motion of a mass on a moving wedge is described using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of conservation of energy and momentum.

3. What factors affect the motion of a mass on a moving wedge?

The motion of a mass on a moving wedge is affected by the angle of the wedge, the velocity or acceleration of the wedge, and the mass of the block.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the wedge and the motion of the mass?

The angle of the wedge affects the motion of the mass by determining the direction and magnitude of the acceleration of the block on the inclined plane. A steeper angle will result in a greater acceleration and a flatter angle will result in a smaller acceleration.

5. How does friction play a role in the motion of a mass on a moving wedge?

Friction plays a significant role in the motion of a mass on a moving wedge. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the block and can either decrease or increase the acceleration depending on the coefficient of friction between the block and the wedge. It also causes the block to eventually come to a stop if the wedge is moving with a constant velocity.