Finding the Spring Constant for a Mass on a Spring System

• Thread starter anti404
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, a mass attached to a spring will have a spring constant, with the formula F=kx, and the combined mass of the hanger, spring, and mass is 45g. After adding an additional mass of 55g, the spring stretches 12cm. Using Hooke's Law, we can calculate the spring constant to be 4.49N/m. To find the period of oscillation when all masses are attached, we can use the formula T=2pi[sqroot(m/k)], with a mass of 55g.
anti404

Homework Statement

A mass attached to a holder hangs from a spring. the combined mass of the hanger, spring, and mass=45g. Adding mass of 55g stretches the spring 12cm. What is the spring constant?

Homework Equations

Hooke's Law
F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

(m1+m2)g/x=k
(.045kg+.055kg)9.8m/s^2/m = k
but this isn't right, I don't think.

I'm not sure what I'm missing, but it seems that I don't have all the information correctly utilized. Hooke's law, though, is the only thing I could think to use with the given information and based upon what we need to find.
any help would be greatly appreciated, as I need this information for my laboratory experiment.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass of the spring do not need to be used as stretching with 55g stretches from the equilibrium state (the equilibrium state holes the 45g from the spring and system)

inutard said:
The mass of the spring do not need to be used as stretching with 55g stretches from the equilibrium state (the equilibrium state holes the 45g from the spring and system)

okay, so the mass of the spring etc. isn't used, and mg/x=K=4.49N/m.
then to find the period of oscillation when ALL masses are attached, T=2pi[sqroot(m/k)].
now when it says all the masses are attached, would you still not include the spring? I'm confused because it says something about having the spring adjusted 1/3 or something for its mass.

thanks,
Justin

Your work looks right. The mass for the period should be 55g.

1. What is a mass on a spring?

A mass on a spring refers to a simple harmonic oscillator system where a mass is attached to the end of a spring and allowed to oscillate back and forth.

2. What is SHM (simple harmonic motion)?

SHM is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. In the case of a mass on a spring, the restoring force is provided by the spring and is proportional to how far the mass is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the period of a mass on a spring oscillation?

The period of a mass on a spring oscillation is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude (distance from equilibrium) of the oscillation. The period is also independent of the mass of the object.

4. How does the amplitude affect the motion of a mass on a spring?

The amplitude of a mass on a spring oscillation affects the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude will result in a larger maximum displacement and therefore a greater distance traveled during each oscillation.

5. Can a mass on a spring ever reach a state of equilibrium?

In theory, a mass on a spring will never reach a state of equilibrium because there will always be a restoring force acting on the mass to move it away from equilibrium. However, in practice, the oscillations can become smaller and smaller until they are imperceptible, appearing to reach a state of equilibrium.