Find Speed of Block Dropped on Spring: Mass, Height, Compression

In summary, the problem involves a 9.3 kg block being dropped onto a spring with a spring constant of 1086 N/m from a height of 800 cm. The spring is compressed by 50 cm when the block is momentarily at rest. To find the speed of the block when the compression of the spring is 10 cm, the transformation of energy method can be used. This involves converting gravitational potential energy (Eg) into kinetic energy (Ek) as the block falls, and then converting all of the Ek into elastic potential energy (Ee) as the block impacts the spring and compresses it. Using this method, the equation 1/2mv^2 = 1/2kx^2 can
grouchy
A 9.3 kg block is dropped onto a spring of spring constant 1086 N/m from a height of 800 cm. When the block is momentarily at rest, the spring has been compressed by 50 cm. Find the speed of the block when the compression of the spring is 10 cm. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2. Answer in units of m/s.

Equations...
1/2kx^2
k = 1/2mv^2
u = mgh

my problem is I don't understand which equations to use in which situations,..

Physics news on Phys.org
This is simply a transformation of energy question.

Right at the start before the block is dropped, only gravitation potential energy (Eg) is present. Then all of the Eg is turned into kinetic energy (Ek) as the block falls. Just before the block hits the spring, all of the Eg is turned into Ek. Then the block impacts the spring and compressing it, turning Ek into Elastic potential energy (Ee).

Therefore, it would:

Eg-->Ek-->Ee

Using this transformation method, it would be very simple to solve this.

If I wasn't very familiar with the whole transformation of energy...how would I do this?

I tried 1/2mv^2 = 1/2kx^2 and it comes out wrong..

What is the formula for finding the speed of a block dropped on a spring?

The formula for finding the speed of a block dropped on a spring is:v = √(2gh + (kx^2)/m)Where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height the block was dropped from, k is the spring constant, x is the compression of the spring, and m is the mass of the block.

How do I determine the mass of the block for this calculation?

You can determine the mass of the block by using a scale or balance to measure its weight. The weight of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity. Once you have the weight, you can divide it by the acceleration due to gravity to find the mass.

What units should I use for height and compression in the formula?

The units for height and compression should be consistent with each other. For example, if you measure the height in meters, then the compression should also be measured in meters. It is important to use consistent units to ensure accurate calculations.

Can I use this formula for any object dropped on a spring?

No, this formula is specifically for a block dropped on a spring. If you are trying to calculate the speed of a different object, such as a ball or a cube, you will need to use a different formula that takes into account the shape and characteristics of that object.

What factors can affect the speed of the block when dropped on a spring?

The speed of the block can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the block, the height it is dropped from, the spring constant, and the compression of the spring. Other factors that can affect the speed include air resistance and the material of the block and spring.