Mass on a spring non-homogeneous second order ODE

In summary: When I plug this in and solve the DE, I get really bizarre values for the constants (A, B, C1, C2).Are my calculations correct?When I plug this in and solve the DE, I get really bizarre values for the constants (A, B, C1, C2).Please post the rest of your working.In summary, the weight of 5kg stretches a spring 10cm. The mass is acted upon by an external force of 10sin(t/2) Newtons and moves in a medium that imparts a viscous force of 2N when the speed of the mass is 4cm/sec. If the mass is set in motion from its equilibrium position with an
flyinjoe

Homework Statement

A mass of 5kg stretches a spring 10cm. The mass is acted upon by an external force of 10sin(t/2) Newtons and moves in a medium that imparts a viscous force of 2N when the speed of the mass is 4cm/sec. If the mass is set in motion from its equilibrium position with an initial velocity of 3 cm/sec, formulate and solve the initial value problem describing the motion of the mass.

Homework Equations

mx'' + γx' + kx = F0 cos(ω0t)

where γx' is the dampening force, k is the spring constant, and F0 cos(ω0t) is the external force.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is just a non-homogeneous second order ODE, but I am not sure where or how to get the spring constant, k, or ω. Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
flyinjoe said:
... I am not sure where or how to get the spring constant, k, ...

What is the equation if there were no external force applied after the 5kg mass is attached?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Are you referring to the motion of an undamped spring with no resonance?

No motion, just a hanging 5kg mass.

A mass of 5kg stretches a spring 10cm.

dlgoff said:
No motion, just a hanging 5kg mass.

Yes, it's a badly worded question. A mass does not stretch a spring, a force does. It should say "a weight of 5g N ..."

The force when it's just hanging there is

F = m * g = 5 * (9.81) = 49.05

And if F = -kx, k should equal 490.5. Using the initial condition of γ(.04 m/s) = 2 N, γ = 50. (Where γx' is the force due to damping).

When I plug this in and solve the DE, I get really bizarre values for the constants (A, B, C1, C2).

Are my calculations correct?

flyinjoe said:
The force when it's just hanging there is

F = m * g = 5 * (9.81) = 49.05

And if F = -kx, k should equal 490.5. Using the initial condition of γ(.04 m/s) = 2 N, γ = 50. (Where γx' is the force due to damping).

When I plug this in and solve the DE, I get really bizarre values for the constants (A, B, C1, C2).

Are my calculations correct?
What you've posted looks ok. Please post the rest of your working.

My general solution is

x(t) = c1e-5tcos(731t) + c2e-5tsin(731t) + 19/932 * cos(t/2) + 50/9599.6 * sin(t/2)

I haven't solved for constants yet.

flyinjoe said:
x(t) = c1e-5tcos(731t) + c2e-5tsin(731t) + 19/932 * cos(t/2) + 50/9599.6 * sin(t/2)
I don't understand. You previously posted that you got weird values for the constants. Now you say you have not calculated them yet?
I'd rather you kept symbols in the equation rather than subbing in the numbers - it makes it easier to follow what you are doing. Writing x(t) = e-λt{A cos(αt) + B sin(αt)} + C cos(t/2) + D sin(t/2) I get λ = γ/m. You seem to have half that. And I get a somewhat larger value for D (haven't calculated C).

1. What is a mass on a spring non-homogeneous second order ODE?

A mass on a spring non-homogeneous second order ODE is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a mass attached to a spring, taking into account external forces acting on the mass. It is represented by a second order differential equation, where the dependent variable is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

2. What are the applications of a mass on a spring non-homogeneous second order ODE?

The mass on a spring non-homogeneous second order ODE has many practical applications, such as modeling the motion of a car's suspension system, analyzing the behavior of a pendulum, and predicting the vibrations of a building during an earthquake.

3. How is a mass on a spring non-homogeneous second order ODE solved?

To solve a mass on a spring non-homogeneous second order ODE, the equation must be set up with the given initial conditions and solved using techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters.

4. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous mass on a spring second order ODE?

In a homogeneous mass on a spring second order ODE, the external forces acting on the mass are equal to zero, whereas in a non-homogeneous mass on a spring second order ODE, the external forces are not equal to zero. This leads to a difference in the form of the ODE and the methods used to solve it.

5. Can a mass on a spring non-homogeneous second order ODE be solved analytically or numerically?

Yes, a mass on a spring non-homogeneous second order ODE can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact formula for the solution, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solution. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the ODE and the precision required for the solution.