1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass on a spring

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spring has a stiffness of 30 KN/m and supports a mass of 8 kg. The mass is pulled so that the spring t extends by amplitude of 10 mm and its released so that it produces linear oscillations .

2. Relevant equations
    (i) Determine the periodic time,circular frequency,and the natural frequency f.
    (ii) Calculate the maximum velocity of the mass.(iii) Calculate the maximum acceleration of the mass.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Periodic time;

T = 1/f = (1 / 9.75) = 0.10260s

Circular frequency;

W= √ k / M w = √ 30000 / 8 = 61.24 rad/s

Natural frequency;

F = w / 2 π = 61.24 / (2π) = 9.75Hz

Displacenent .
    10 cos X (61.24 X 0.10260) = - 5.27 mm
    Which equations do I use ? Velocity = ωx sin ωt Or max velocity = x cos ωt =0
    Acceleration= ω^2 x sin ωt Or max acceleration= x cos ωt

If I am correct with displacement , it does not equal zero.Which is throwing me !

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2
    i don't think those equations of max velpcity have any sense. if they are maximum, why would tgey depend on time??

4. Feb 5, 2015 #3
    The question is written out word for word. There have been other problems with questions on this assignment and the one on thermodynamics before it ! Its an online BTEC. Are you saying the question it self is incorrectly written (others have been). And i struggled with them too.
    Should i just treat it as velocity ? And acceleration , Leaving Max out of it ?

5. Feb 5, 2015 #4
    look, max velocity is $\omega xmax$. max acceleration is $\omega^2 xmax$. you shouldn't have any "time" involved.

6. Feb 5, 2015 #5
    Those are the equations used in the course examples ? So you're saying the equations I put up are incorrect to find max acc and max Vel ?

7. Feb 5, 2015 #6
    yes, those equations are wrong. the correct equations are those that I gave you. it is easy to do it yourself, just derive with respect to time and rember that sine and cosine are between 1 and -1. it is crucial to understand this that the maximum velocity or acceleration can't involve time

8. Feb 5, 2015 #7
    Thank you melthengylf.....No wonder Im bamboozed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted