1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass on a Swing Ride

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    physics.png

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2014 #2
    This looks suspiciously like a homework problem. In any event, it is close enough to a typical homework problem that it should have been posted in the homework forum. Please consider doing that next time.

Regarding what you did wrong, the limit of the first term is not zero. If theta goes to 90 degrees, tan of theta is infinite also. If you hadn't divided by omega squared, you would have seen immediately that, in the limit of infinite omega, tan theta becomes infinite, and that theta approaches 90 degrees.

Chet

4. Sep 22, 2014 #3
    Sorry, this was my first post and I wasn't sure where to put it! I can assure you though, that this was not a homework question, instead it was just my curious self doing physics for fun. Questions like this have been asked before on this site but not looking for theta, so I thought I would post so others and myself could understand it.

Anyways, thanks for the response. It's so tempting to just divide by infinity that I didn't even consider that tangent(90) approaches infinity. I guess I'm getting lazy and need to brush up on my calculus.

Thanks!

Hayley

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted