Mass on an Incline with Spring Attached

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving forces and energy. The participants discuss different approaches and methods for finding the displacement of a block on a ramp, including using the law of conservation of energy and solving a differential equation. The correct answer is found to be 0.235m for one part of the problem and 0.5m for the other, using the work-energy theorem.
whoareyou

Homework Statement

swhKirX.png

Homework Equations

Forces and/or energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to start. First I tried kx = mgsin(tan-1 (3/4))) and got the answer E, which is wrong. Then I tried using energy, mgh = 1/2kx^2 which resulted in an answer that wasn't on the list. Any ideas on how to begin?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
At any point after letting go of the mass,
energy stored in spring + potential energy + kinetic energy = constant. (Why?)

Because total mechanical energy of the system is conserved?

Edit: nvm I figured it out!

Last edited:
Why is ##kx = mg \sin \theta## wrong here?, ##\theta## the inclination of ramp.

CAF123 said:
Why is ##kx = mg \sin \theta## wrong here?, ##\theta## the inclination of ramp.

Well, it violates the law of conservation of energy.

If you slowly let the mass slip until it was stationary then you'd be right, but that is not what's happening here.

rude man said:
Well, it violates the law of conservation of energy.

If you slowly let the mass slip until it was stationary then you'd be right, but that is not what's happening here.
Perhaps I misinterpreted something: when the mass is released, it obeys ##mg\sin\theta - kx = ma_x##So if they were ever equal, then the block would then move at constant speed.

The energy approach would indeed seem more appropriate.

CAF123 said:
Perhaps I misinterpreted something: when the mass is released, it obeys ##mg\sin\theta - kx = ma_x##So if they were ever equal, then the block would then move at constant speed.

Indeed it is.

The point of where the mass momentarily stops moving is not the point of zero acceleration. It is the point of zero velocity.

Yes, but what does the acceleration vectors look like in such a case? It can't be like the vectors on a pendulum, so the acc. vectors will lie along direction of motion.

CAF123 said:
Yes, but what does the acceleration vectors look like in such a case? It can't be like the vectors on a pendulum, so the acc. vectors will lie along direction of motion.

Let s = distance along ramp starting from the point where the spring is relaxed, where s = 0:
Then form F = ma:
-ks + mg sin(θ) = md2s/dt2
Solve this differential equation for s, take ds/dt and then d2s/dt2 gives you your acceleration. You will find s(t) and its derivatives are non-decaying oscillations.

You can also solve the given problem this way instead of invoking energy arguments: solve for ds/dt and set ds/dt = second zero (the first is obviously when you let go of the mass). Then solve for T, the time of the second zero of ds/dt, and then s(T).

CAF123 said:

how would you find ma_x?

Tee01 said:
how would you find ma_x?
You can't find it directly by other means, other than solving the differential equation, that is you set by definition ##a_x=\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}## and solve the differential equation $$mg\sin\theta-kx=m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}$$.

However this problem can be solved by energy method without solving a differential equation, just an algebraic equation.
$$mgh=\frac{1}{2}kx^2$$
$$h=x\sin\theta$$
Since this is quite an old thread, i suppose i can give the answer, it is C. 0.235m

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
However this problem can be solved by energy method without solving a differential equation, just an algebraic equation.
$$mgh=\frac{1}{2}kx^2$$
$$h=x\sin\theta$$
Since this is quite an old thread, i suppose i can give the answer, it is C. 0.235m
So for this one, would you use the same method? I'm somehow getting 0.1178 for 2b and 0.245 for 2a.

Attachments

• inclide spring.png
    inclide spring.png
    25 KB · Views: 317
I did it and i get 0.5m for a) and 0.24m for b). used g=10m/s^2. Please post your workings here if you want me to comment on them.

Likes Tee01
My friend did 2a and i did 2b. Both are far off. First image is 2a and second image is 2b
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-18 at 10.08.26.jpeg
20201218_112543 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20201218_112543 (1).jpg
    20201218_112543 (1).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 189
I thought we were going to do it by energy method but you are using force method and by doing so you are wrong. You calculate the position where the total force is zero, hence where the acceleration is zero. But we want the position where the velocity is zero.

Delta2 said:
I thought we were going to do it by energy method but you are using force method and by doing so you are wrong. You calculate the position where the total force is zero, hence where the acceleration is zero. But we want the position where the velocity is zero.
Do you equal potential energy to kinetic energy?

nope. For a) i equal gravitational potential energy to elastic potential energy of the spring.
for b) i use work energy theorem $$W_{TOTAL}=\Delta K$$. We know that $$\Delta K=0-0$$ since the block starts from rest, and the end position is also one with zero speed. So calculate the total work and set it to zero. You ll have one equation with one unknown, the displacement of the spring x.

Better use work energy theorem for a) too . The logic is the same as for b), it is just that the total work is different in each case.

Delta2 said:
nope. For a) i equal gravitational potential energy to elastic potential energy of the spring.
for b) i use work energy theorem $$W_{TOTAL}=\Delta K$$. We know that $$\Delta K=0-0$$ since the block starts from rest, and the end position is also one with zero speed. So calculate the total work and set it to zero. You ll have one equation with one unknown, the displacement of the spring x.
I'm a little confused :(. I don't know what W_total is.

Tee01 said:
It is the total work done on the block. Haven't you been introduced to the concept of work , and to work-energy theorem yet?

Delta2 said:
It is the total work done on the block. Haven't you been introduced to the concept of work , and to work-energy theorem yet?
Also, did you use energy theorem for the original post?

I got 0.0589 on 2b when i do xsin30. My answer is /10 by the right answer and i also got 0.0235 instead of 0.235 as the answer to the original post

No i used conservation of energy actually for the OP, but it can be done with work-energy theorem as well, we ll get almost the same equations.

Oh i confused my 2b with my 2a

Tee01 said:
I got 0.0589 on 2b when i do xsin30. My answer is /10 by the right answer and i also got 0.0235 instead of 0.235 as the answer to the original post
First of all tell me the answer key for a) and b) please.
Second what do you mean by "do xsin30".
And show me your working for the OP.

Delta2 said:
$$mgh=\frac{1}{2}kx^2$$
$$h=x\sin\theta$$
x represents the extension right?

Likes Delta2
Tee01 said:
Does Delta K represent the change in spring constant?

No ##\Delta K## is the change in kinetic energy of the block. I use the capital letter ##K## for kinetic energy. The one for the spring constant is the small letter ##k##.

Delta2 said:
No ##\Delta K## is the change in kinetic energy of the block. I use the capital letter ##K## for kinetic energy. The one for the spring constant is the small letter ##k##.
Thanks for having patience with me. I don't think I am capable of doing this question so i might just leave it.

If you are not familiar with the work energy theorem and the concept of work then ok.

But then you can do at least 2a) with conservation of energy. Equate the gravitational potential energy to the maximum elastic potential energy of spring like i do in post #12.

Likes Tee01
Delta2 said:
I did it and i get 0.5m for a) and 0.24m for b). used g=10m/s^2. Please post your workings here if you want me to comment on them.
I got x=2mgsin30/k and got 0.5 for a and 0.24 for b

Ok but better to show me your work in order to be sure what you did exactly.

Delta2 said:
Ok but better to show me your work in order to be sure what you did exactly.
Yea let me show you my working out