• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Mass on Vertical Spring

• Thread starter Dauden
  • Start date

Homework Statement

https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/phys2111/spring/homework/Ch-08-GPE-ME/mass_vertical_spring/7.gif [Broken]

A spring with spring constant k = 40 N/m and unstretched length of L0 is attached to the ceiling. A block of mass m = 1 kg is hung gently on the end of the spring.

Now the block is pulled down until the total amount the spring is stretched is twice the amount found in part (a). The block is then pushed upward with an initial speed vi = 4 m/s.

What is the maximum speed of the block?

Homework Equations

KE = (1/2)mv^2
PE = (1/2)kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the answer for part a) they want me to use is .245 m. The way I set this up was:

(1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)mvi^2 + (1/2)kx^2

(1/2)(1)v^2 = (1/2)(1)(4^2) + (1/2)(40)(.49^2)

I did this because the kinetic energy at the maximum speed point should be equal to the potential plus the kinetic energy given by the push. When I solve for v on the left side I get 5.06 m/s but that is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi Dauden! :smile:
Well, the answer for part a) they want me to use is .245 m. The way I set this up was:

(1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)mvi^2 + (1/2)kx^2

(1/2)(1)v^2 = (1/2)(1)(4^2) + (1/2)(40)(.49^2)

I did this because the kinetic energy at the maximum speed point should be equal to the potential plus the kinetic energy given by the push. When I solve for v on the left side I get 5.06 m/s but that is wrong.
No, KEmax - KE0 = PE0 -PEmax

and you haven't mentioned gravity :wink: