1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass percent of Fe

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    An iron ore sample weighing 0.9292g is dissolved in HCl(aq), and the iron is obtained as Fe2+(aq). This solution is then titrated with 30.86mL of 5.027×10−2M K2Cr2O7(aq).

6Fe2++14H++Cr2O2−7→6Fe3++2Cr3++7H2O

So how would i go about finding the mass percent of Fe in the ore sample?

I tried multiplying 30.86ml with the 5.027×10−2M K2Cr2O7(aq) to find the mol of K2Cr2O7 but I have no idea what i am doing with that..Please respond as soon as you can!! thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2013 #2
    Can you format things a bit nicer, makes it easier to read.

Anyway, your equation is 6Fe2+ + 14H+ + Cr2O72- → 6Fe3+ + 2Cr3+ +7H2O

If you have the amount of dichromate from your titration, what does the balanced equation tell you?

4. Sep 6, 2013 #3
    The units of molarity are moles/liter. How many liters are there in 30.86 ml? How many moles of dichromate were consumed in the titration? How many moles of iron are oxidized per mole of dichromate titrated? How many moles of iron were in the solution? How many grams of iron were there in the solution?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted