Calculating Volume of Acetone for Solution with Methylene Chloride

In summary, to make a solution that is 20.3 g methylene chloride per 100. g solution, you will need to add 797 mL of acetone to 1790 g of methylene chloride, based on the ratio of 203 parts mass of methylene chloride to 797 parts mass of acetone in 1000 parts mass of solution.
john16O

Homework Statement

What volume (L) of the solvent acetone should be added to 1790 g of the solute methylene chloride to make a solution that is 20.3 g methylene chloride per 100. g solution?

Molar Mass (g/mol)
CH2Cl2 84.93
(CH3)2CO 58.05
Density (g/mL):
CH2Cl2 1.327
(CH3)2CO 0.7899
Name/Formula:
methylene chloride
CH2Cl2
acetone
(CH3)2CO

Homework Equations

percent by mass = mass of solute/ mass of solution x 100

The Attempt at a Solution

Im taking organic chem right now and this is a question for one of my chem lab homeworks so I am a little rusty with these kinds of problems...but this is where I am at/stuck

Looking for (L) of (CH3)2CO Given: 1790g CH2Cl2 and the mass percent fraction is:
20.3g CH2Cl2/100g soln.

I know that you have to use the densities to convert from g-->L but I just don't know how to get to that point..

Physics news on Phys.org
That means that you have a solution which is made of the ratio 203 parts mass methylene chloride to 797 parts mass acetone. This is based on 1000 parts mass of solution. Now, scale this up to 1790 parts mass of solution.

ah! yes, thank you...

1. How do you calculate the volume of acetone needed for a solution with methylene chloride?

The volume of acetone needed for a solution with methylene chloride can be calculated using the formula: (concentration of acetone / concentration of methylene chloride) x volume of methylene chloride solution.

2. What is the concentration of acetone and methylene chloride in the solution?

The concentration of acetone and methylene chloride in the solution can vary depending on the desired ratio. It is important to know the concentrations in order to accurately calculate the volume of acetone needed.

3. Can I use any units of measurement for the concentrations and volume?

Yes, as long as all units are consistent throughout the calculation. Common units for concentration include molarity (M) or percentage (%), and for volume include liters (L) or milliliters (mL).

4. What if the solution already contains a certain amount of acetone or methylene chloride?

If the solution already contains a certain amount of acetone or methylene chloride, you will need to adjust the calculations accordingly. Subtract the amount of the substance already present from the total desired amount to determine the volume needed to be added.

5. Why is it important to accurately calculate the volume of acetone for a solution with methylene chloride?

Accurately calculating the volume of acetone for a solution with methylene chloride is important because it ensures the desired concentration and ratio of the two substances is achieved. This is crucial in many scientific experiments and processes, where precise measurements are necessary for accurate results.