1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Point Geometry Confusion

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    Aaaagh. I'm really confused right now. I just started learning MPG a few hours ago so go easy on me. It's hard to explain in word but I'll try.

Consider this:

In ΔABC, D, E, and F are the trisection points of AB, BC, and CA nearer A, B, and C respectively.

Let BF [itex]\cap[/itex] AE = J. Show that BJ:JF = 3:4 and AJ:JE = 6:1.

Using my basic knowledge on MPG, this started out easy. I assigned the masses of A, B, and C to be 1, 4, and 2 respectively. A=1 since CF=1, C=2 since AF=2 and B=4 because (2/1)*C=4. Now using this, I figured out JF would be equal to the value of B which is 4. Thus the value of BJ must be 3 since (A+B+C)=7 and 7-4 = 3. This resulted in BJ:JF = 3:4. Pretty straightforward.

This is where it got tricky. I knew that by using my previous values, I could come up with JE=1 and AJ=6 easily. Then this thought came to me. I could assign C=1, B=2, and A=4 just by using different reference points. This would result in a different ratio for AJ:JE.

I must be doing something wrong. If someone here could please explain to me where I went wrong or why this is like this, I'd be very grateful.

If my explanation was a bit confusing, I could explain it better if you asked questions.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted