1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass problem dealing with areas and lengths

1. Aug 28, 2003 #1
    Hello again,

The problem states that:

Gold has a mass of 19.32 g for each cubic centimeter of volume.

a) If 1.000 oz of gold, with a mass of 27.63 g, is pressed into a leaf of 1.000 micrometers thickness, what is the area of the leaf?

b) If the gold is drawn out into a cylindrical fiber of radius 2.500 micrometers, what is the length of the fiber?

Well,

From the first part of the problem I got this ratio:

1 cubic centimeter of gold : 19.32 g of gold

For part A:

I did a proportion:
    1 cubic centimeter / 19.32 g = x / 27.63 g
    x = 1.43 cubic centimeters = 1.43 x 10^-2 cubic meters

but that is where i got stuck. i think that the x that i found is the volume for the 1 oz of gold, but how do i get the length of the leaf so I can get the area? also, if the problem says that the leaf has a certain thickness, then is the area they are looking for a surface area?

For part B:

I first changed the 2.500 micrometers into meters and got: 2.500 x 10^-6 meters

the volume of a cylinder is: V = pi * r^2 * h

then from part A, V = 0.143 cubic meters

0.143 = pi * ( 2.500 x 10^6 )^2 * h

solving for h, i got: h = 7.283 x 10^8 meters

I think I can only get the right answer if I have the volume from part A correct, so I am unsure if my answer is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, good start.

You don't need the length. If the leaf is of uniform thickness (T), then the volume (V) and area (A) are related by:

V=AT

You can solve for the area directly.

Yes.

I do not have a calculator handy, so I can't check your number, but I can say that your method is correct. Assuming you did the calculator work correctly, this is A-OK.

4. Sep 2, 2003 #3
    about converting the volume of 1.430 cm^3 into m^3, am i correct in doing the following:

(1.430 cm^3)(1m/10^2cm)^3 = 1.430 x10^-6 m^3

is that correct? or should i have just done this:

(1.430 cm^3)(1m/10^2cm) = 1.430 x10^-2 m^3

5. Sep 3, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your first calculation is correct. There are 100 cm in a m and so 100^3= 1000000 cubic cm in a cubic m. Although I wonder why yo are converting to cubic meters. Wouldn't it be easier to convert everything to cm?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?