Solving a Problem: Combining Two Vehicles Masses

• Thread starter c4iscool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vehicles
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a collision between two vehicles and determining the mass of one of the vehicles using the conservation of momentum law. The conversation also touches on other conservation laws and clarifies the equation for calculating momentum. The final solution is a mass of 4000kg.
c4iscool
I can't figure out this problem. A 1000kg car traveling east at 3m/sec collides with and sticks to a vehicle traveling due west at 2m/sec. Immediately after the collision, the vehicular combination is moving due west at 1m/sec. the mass of the second vhicle is ? kg. How do I set this up?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's conserved during the collision?

I think the mass would be conserved.

c4iscool said:
I think the mass would be conserved.
Anything else? Think important conservation laws.

Are u guys getting at conservation of energy laws? But can I only get the velocity with that?

c4iscool said:
Are u guys getting at conservation of energy laws? But can I only get the velocity with that?

I'll give you a clue, it starts with an 'M' and its not mass

Last edited:
conservation of matter

c4iscool said:
conservation of matter

Thats the same as mass. Are you sure you know no other conservation laws? I'll give you another clue, its symbol is 'P'

I don't know of any others. sorry I'm a noob!=(

oh momentum

c4iscool said:
I don't know of any others. sorry I'm a noob!=(

No problem :smile:. The law you need to use is 'conservation of momentum'. Have you heard of momentum before? Do you know how it is defined / how to calculate it?

is it m1v1=m2v2 or something?

c4iscool said:
is it m1v1=m2v2 or something?

Thats the one. Initial momentum (the product of mass and velocity) must equal the final momentum. Take note that momentum is a vector quanitity, so direction matters.

but how do I figure out the final momentum without the mass?

You can calculate the intial momentum. You know the final velocity. You know the two vehicles are stuck together. Can you formulate an equation using the above facts?

would the equation be (1/2)Massf(1)=(1/2)1000(3). or can I drop the 1/2 in front of the equation.

c4iscool said:
would the equation be (1/2)Massf(1)=(1/2)1000(3). or can I drop the 1/2 in front of the equation.

Hmm. How about this taking east to be positive and letting M = 1000kg, m be the unknown mass, v1 = 3, v2 = -2 and vf = -1;

[tex]Mv_{1} + mv_{2} = (M+m)v_{f}[/tex]

is the mass about 2000 or 4000?

Last edited:
c4iscool said:
is the mass about 2000?

I got the mass to be about 1333kg. Perhaps you have made an arithmetic error? If you show your working I'll see if I can see where you've gone wrong.

I just reworked it and now I have more!
(1000*3)+m(-2)=(1000+m)-1
3000-2m=-1000-m
4000=m

Oh, I do apologise, the error is on my part:blushing: . The mass is indeed 4000kg, which is what I intuitively would expect, but I made a silly error. It happens :tongue2: . Anyway you got the correct answer. Well done :smile:

thanks you so much!

c4iscool said:
thanks you so much!

No problem :smile: and thank you for correcting me.

1. How can combining two vehicles' masses solve a problem?

Combining two vehicles' masses can solve a problem by increasing the total weight and therefore, increasing the overall force and power of the combined vehicles.

2. What are some potential problems that can be solved by combining two vehicles' masses?

Some potential problems that can be solved by combining two vehicles' masses include towing heavy loads, increasing speed and acceleration, and improving stability and handling.

3. How do scientists determine the optimal way to combine two vehicles' masses?

Scientists use mathematical equations and calculations to determine the optimal way to combine two vehicles' masses. Factors such as weight distribution, center of mass, and the specific needs of the problem being solved are taken into account.

4. Can combining two vehicles' masses be applied to any type of vehicle?

Yes, the concept of combining two vehicles' masses can be applied to any type of vehicle, whether it is land, air, or water-based.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to combining two vehicles' masses?

One limitation is that combining two vehicles' masses may result in increased fuel consumption and decreased fuel efficiency. Additionally, the combined mass may make the vehicle more difficult to maneuver in certain situations. Proper training and safety precautions should also be taken when operating a combined vehicle to avoid accidents or damage.