1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Question

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    Random question, but is it true that all information, like brain neurons (ideas), light, radio waves, etc... has a mass?

Basically if anything moves then it transfers energy and must have a mass. So the Universe is ALL mass?

Also, what would "space" be defined as in terms of mass.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2
    Photons have no mass, they have energy. Light and radio waves are photons. Just because something moves, does not mean it transfers energy. Think of a a Cosmic ray travelling through a vaccum, there is nothing to transfer its energy to.

As for space, a more appropriate term would be energy density.

I like how you are thinking about such topics and I appreciate your creativity.

4. Mar 7, 2007 #3
    So what are photons and cosmic rays made up of?

Also if light gets affected by gravity, it must have a mass.
    Doesn't light travel for millions of miles then starts to bend because of gravity?

Thanks

5. Mar 7, 2007 #4
    I personally don't have much information on this topic but here is what I know;

Photons do have a Relativistic Mass when travelling with a speed greater than zero.

But when it comes to waves, they don't need a mass to be effected by the gravity, According to General Relativity of Einstein gravity is curvature in space time which means a geometrical phenomena. As it doesn't involves force, the wave won't need to have a mass.

For the best answers try writing this question in Relativity forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook