1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Ratio Question

1. Feb 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A single-stage rocket is fired from rest from a deep-space platform, where gravity is negligible.

If the rocket burns its fuel in a time of 50.0 s and the relative speed of the exhaust gas is v_ex=2100 m/s, what must the mass ratio m_{0}/m be for a final speed v of 8.00 km/s (about equal to the orbital speed of an earth satellite)?

2. Relevant equations

v-v0= -v_exln(m/m0) = v_exln(m0/m)

3. The attempt at a solution

having a rough time understanding the equation, any tips or hints?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2007 #2
    I wonder if you are supposed to make a formula for the mass ratio as a function of time (it does vary). Is the mass lost at a constant rate?

4. Feb 23, 2007 #3
    It doesn't say that it has to be which i would assume it shouldn't be. All I know about the question is what you see. So to answer your question, i don't know. I was hoping someone would be able to answer that lol.

5. Feb 23, 2007 #4
    Does the rocket start from rest? If so, and you only care about the mass ratio and t=50 sec., then you just have to work out the log equation.

6. Feb 23, 2007 #5
    Yes, it appears that it is starting from rest. How would I go about finding the mass ratio? Also, the log equation?

How do I go about finding the mass of the rocket? (is that even the right question to ask)

7. Feb 23, 2007 #6
    updated the original question.

8. Feb 23, 2007 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'll help with the equation. It is known as the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.

[tex]\Delta v = v_{\text{exhaust}}
    \ln\left(\frac{m_{\text{init}}}{m_{\text{final}}}\right)[/tex]

where

[itex]v_{\text{exhaust}}[/itex] is the exhaust speed relative to the rocket
    [itex]m_{\text{init}}[/itex] is the initial (pre-burn) mass of the rocket
    [itex]m_{\text{final}}[/itex] is the final (post-burn) mass of the rocket
    [itex]\ln(x)[/itex] is the natural logarithm function.

The problem gives [itex]v_{\text{exhaust}}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta v[/itex] and simply asks for the mass ratio [itex]{m_{\text{init}}}/{m_{\text{final}}}[/itex]. Can you proceed with this?

9. Feb 23, 2007 #8
    Let me do the math really quickly and i'll show you what I got.

10. Feb 23, 2007 #9
    so is it MR=v_delta/v_exln?

11. Feb 23, 2007 #10
    ok, i got it. thank you =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?