Mass Ratio Q: Solving for Final Speed of 8km/s

In summary, the equation states that the exhaust speed, v_ex, is relative to the rocket, and the final mass, m_f, is relative to the initial mass, m_i. The mass ratio, MR, is found by solving for v_delta, which is the difference in speed between the exhaust and initial speeds.
cycam

Homework Statement

A single-stage rocket is fired from rest from a deep-space platform, where gravity is negligible.

If the rocket burns its fuel in a time of 50.0 s and the relative speed of the exhaust gas is v_ex=2100 m/s, what must the mass ratio m_{0}/m be for a final speed v of 8.00 km/s (about equal to the orbital speed of an Earth satellite)?

Homework Equations

v-v0= -v_exln(m/m0) = v_exln(m0/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

having a rough time understanding the equation, any tips or hints?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if you are supposed to make a formula for the mass ratio as a function of time (it does vary). Is the mass lost at a constant rate?

It doesn't say that it has to be which i would assume it shouldn't be. All I know about the question is what you see. So to answer your question, i don't know. I was hoping someone would be able to answer that lol.

Does the rocket start from rest? If so, and you only care about the mass ratio and t=50 sec., then you just have to work out the log equation.

Yes, it appears that it is starting from rest. How would I go about finding the mass ratio? Also, the log equation?

How do I go about finding the mass of the rocket? (is that even the right question to ask)

Last edited:
updated the original question.

I'll help with the equation. It is known as the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.

[tex]\Delta v = v_{\text{exhaust}}
\ln\left(\frac{m_{\text{init}}}{m_{\text{final}}}\right)[/tex]

where

[itex]v_{\text{exhaust}}[/itex] is the exhaust speed relative to the rocket
[itex]m_{\text{init}}[/itex] is the initial (pre-burn) mass of the rocket
[itex]m_{\text{final}}[/itex] is the final (post-burn) mass of the rocket
[itex]\ln(x)[/itex] is the natural logarithm function.

The problem gives [itex]v_{\text{exhaust}}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta v[/itex] and simply asks for the mass ratio [itex]{m_{\text{init}}}/{m_{\text{final}}}[/itex]. Can you proceed with this?

Let me do the math really quickly and i'll show you what I got.

so is it MR=v_delta/v_exln?

Last edited:
ok, i got it. thank you =)

What is the formula for calculating the final speed of 8km/s with mass ratio Q?

The formula for calculating the final speed of 8km/s with mass ratio Q is:
Vf = Vi * (1 + Q) / (1 + (1 / Q))
where Vf is the final speed, Vi is the initial speed (in this case 8km/s), and Q is the mass ratio.

How do I determine the mass ratio Q?

The mass ratio Q can be determined by dividing the mass of the object after the propulsion is applied by the mass of the object before the propulsion is applied. This can also be calculated by using the specific impulse and exhaust velocity of the propulsion system.

What units should be used for the final speed and mass ratio?

The final speed should be in the same units as the initial speed, in this case 8km/s. The mass ratio can be expressed using any consistent unit of mass, such as kilograms or pounds.

What is the significance of calculating the final speed with mass ratio Q?

Calculating the final speed with mass ratio Q is important in understanding the impact of propulsion on an object's velocity. It can also help in designing and predicting the performance of propulsion systems for space travel.

Can the formula for calculating final speed with mass ratio Q be applied to any type of propulsion system?

Yes, the formula can be applied to any type of propulsion system as long as the initial and final speeds are known and the mass ratio can be determined. However, it should be noted that this formula assumes a constant acceleration and does not account for external factors such as air resistance.