What is the mystery behind the mass ratio of proton and electron?

• Thread starter Antonio Lao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Ratio
In summary, the experimental mass ratio of proton and electron is 1836, a number that has puzzled scientists for a long time. While Sir Arthur Eddington attempted to find a connection between this number and other "magic numbers" in physics, he was unsuccessful. However, using the general form of H+ and H-, one can calculate the ratio and see that it is close to the accepted value. This calculation does not take into account the contribution from continuous and other unknown factors. The same near-coincidence may also occur with other baryons and mesons. The idea of H+ and H- also has implications for the three known neutrino flavors, with the electron-neutrino being the lightest, followed by
Antonio Lao
The experimental mass ratio of proton and electron is 1836.

Nobody knows why it has to be this number.

Sir Arthur Eddington did a lot of research on magic numbers of physics. But he did not succeed. One of the magic numbers is the fine-structure constant and another is the mass ratio of proton-electron.

Using the general form of H+ and H-, one can elucidate the mystery of this number 1836.

The proton mass is given by

[tex]n^{15}H-[/tex]

The electron mass is given by

[tex]n^7H-[/tex]

If we now assumed the LOE order is 6, i.e., n=6. The ratio is

[tex]6^8[/tex]

Multiply by 2 and take the square root gives 1832, less than 1% of the accepted value. In this calculation, the contribution from continuous is ignored. And other unknown factors are not considered.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this same near-coincidence continue with the rest of the baryons? How about the mesons?

What does this idea have to say about the neutrino flavours?

Can you make some predictions - e.g. the mass of the Higgs?

How many particles emerge from your H+H- with exactly zero mass?

Only for the Stables

Nereid,

This ratio might be just a coincidence, because it does not work for neutron-electron.

The proton is stable, its halflife is beyond 10^33 years. The electron is also stable. But neutrons are stable only in the nucleus of an atom. A free neutron has a halflife of 15 minutes, roughly the attention span of an average person.

I think, all the three neutrinos flavors (electron's, muon's and tau's) have all been detected. They are now being used to explain the mystery of the solar neutrino radiation. According to theory, the sun is supposed to output so much but only one-third been detected. So the theories think that the neutrinos are changing flavors along the way from the sun to earth. They call this neutrino oscillation.

I still cannot make any prediction in regard to the Higgs boson because it is not stable and probably it is not traveling in the same timeline as we are. When I say stable, I mean it should be sitting in space long enough for experimenters to see, to touch, to talk and do anything with it.

I have a hunch that zero-mass happens only when the number of H+ and H- are exactly equal in number and in the order of LOE for each particle configuration. The neutron has mass but its H+ H- are equal in number so I presumed that the order of LOE are not the same.

Antonio

Antonio Lao wrote: I think, all the three neutrinos flavors (electron's, muon's and tau's) have all been detected. They are now being used to explain the mystery of the solar neutrino radiation. According to theory, the sun is supposed to output so much but only one-third been detected. So the theories think that the neutrinos are changing flavors along the way from the sun to earth. They call this neutrino oscillation.
But what about the mass ratio of the neutrinos? If your H+H- idea has some merit in explaining the proton/electron mass ratio, it should also explain the neutrino mass ratios. (And if you say they're not known, you could make a prediction and become famous when they're later shown to match your prediction).

Not the Tau

I take that back. The tau neutrino is still not detected.

Using the table:

The electron-neutrino is 1H+ and 1H-
The muon-neutrino is 3H+ and 3H-
The tau-neutrino is 5H+ and 5H-

It is clear that the muon's is heavier than the electron's
the tau's is heavier than the muon's

these much I know

Antonio

Postscript

Nereid,

Taking your suggestion, I did some calculations based on the assumption that all three neutrinos are in LOE 6.

The results are: The mass ratio muon's to electron's is 36
The mass ratio tau's to muon's is 36
The mass ratio tau's to electron's is 1296

LOE 2: The ratios are 4 4 16
LOE 3: The ratios are 9 9 81
LOE 4: The ratios are 16 16 256
LOE 5: The ratios are 25 25 626

ditto

Last edited:

1. What is the mass ratio between H+ and H-?

The mass ratio between H+ and H- is 1:1, meaning that they have equal masses.

2. How is the mass ratio calculated using H+ and H-?

The mass ratio is calculated by dividing the mass of H+ by the mass of H-. The resulting ratio is then simplified to 1:1.

3. What is the significance of the mass ratio using H+ and H-?

The mass ratio using H+ and H- is significant because it shows that these two particles have the same mass, despite having opposite charges. This further supports the concept of charge neutrality in atoms.

4. Can the mass ratio using H+ and H- be used to determine the overall mass of an atom?

No, the mass ratio using H+ and H- only applies to these two specific particles and cannot be used to determine the overall mass of an atom. The overall mass of an atom is determined by the mass of its protons, neutrons, and electrons.

5. How does the mass ratio using H+ and H- differ from the atomic mass of hydrogen?

The mass ratio using H+ and H- only takes into account the masses of these two particles, whereas the atomic mass of hydrogen considers the masses of all three subatomic particles in a hydrogen atom (protons, neutrons, and electrons). Additionally, the atomic mass of hydrogen is an average of all the naturally occurring isotopes of hydrogen, while the mass ratio only applies to the specific particles of H+ and H-.