What Forces Act on a Mass Sliding Inside a Hoop?

• Thread starter Becca93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the problem involves calculating the force with which a mass of 5.20E-1 kg pushes on a hoop with negligible friction, when the mass is at an angle of 27.0 degrees and has a speed of 5.27 m/s at the top. The solution requires considering both the force due to circular motion and the force of gravity acting on the mass. The correct answer is 29.59 N.
Becca93
Homework Statement

A mass M of 5.20E-1 kg slides inside a hoop of radius R=1.40 m with negligible friction. When M is at the top, it has a speed of 5.27 m/s. Calculate size of the force with which the M pushes on the hoop when M is at an angle of 27.0 degrees.

Picture attached at the bottom.

The attempt at a solution

E at the top of the circle should equal the energy at that particular part of the circle. So,

mg(2r) + (1/2)mvtop2 = mg(r-rcosθ) + (1/2)mv^2
m's cancel, so
g(2r) + (1/2)vtop2 = g(r-rcosθ) + (1/2)v^2
2(g(2r) + (1/2)vtop2 - g(r-rcosθ) = v^2

a = v^2/r

F = ma

When I plug everything in, I get
2(39.831) = v^2
v^2 = 79.66

a = 79.66/1.4
a = 56.90

F = (.52)(56.90)
F = 29.59 N

This answer is incorrect.

Please, can someone let me know where I'm going wrong?

Attachments

• prob25_1015hoop2.gif
    prob25_1015hoop2.gif
    1,008 bytes · Views: 623
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've calculated the force due to the circular motion, but what other force is also working on the mass?

gneill said:
You've calculated the force due to the circular motion, but what other force is also working on the mass?

Okay. I'm forgetting the force of gravity acting on the mass, aren't I?

Should I add mgcosθ to my answer? Is that all I'm missing?

Becca93 said:
Okay. I'm forgetting the force of gravity acting on the mass, aren't I?

Should I add mgcosθ to my answer? Is that all I'm missing?

That looks right. Since the hoop has "negligible friction", only the component of the force due to gravity that is normal to the hoop's surface should matter -- the other component acts to accelerate the mass tangentially.

I would like to first commend your attempt at solving this problem. However, I believe there may be a mistake in your calculations.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the mass M is not sliding on a horizontal surface, but rather on a circular path. Therefore, the equation for energy conservation should be:

mg(2r) + (1/2)mvtop^2 = mg(r-rcosθ) + (1/2)mv^2

Also, the value of v^2 that you have calculated is the total velocity at that point, and not the tangential velocity that is needed for calculating the force. The tangential velocity can be found by multiplying the total velocity by the sine of the angle, in this case, 27 degrees.

So the equation for acceleration would be:

a = vtan^2/r = (vtop sinθ)^2/r = (5.27 sin27)^2/1.4 = 2.44 m/s^2

Finally, the force can be calculated by multiplying the mass with the tangential acceleration:

F = ma = (0.52)(2.44) = 1.27 N

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a mass slide inside a hoop?

A mass slide inside a hoop refers to a physical phenomenon where a mass is placed inside a circular hoop and allowed to slide along its circumference under the influence of gravity.

2. What factors affect the motion of a mass slide inside a hoop?

The motion of a mass slide inside a hoop is affected by several factors including the mass of the object, the radius of the hoop, the angle at which the object is released, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

3. How does the angle of release affect the motion of a mass slide inside a hoop?

The angle of release plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory of the mass slide inside a hoop. A higher release angle will result in a greater initial velocity and a longer path length, while a lower angle will result in a shorter path length and a lower final velocity.

4. Can the motion of a mass slide inside a hoop be predicted using mathematical equations?

Yes, the motion of a mass slide inside a hoop can be predicted using equations of motion such as the equations for circular motion and projectile motion. These equations take into account the various factors that affect the motion and can accurately predict the path of the mass.

5. What real-life applications does the study of mass slides inside a hoop have?

The study of mass slides inside a hoop has several real-life applications, including understanding the motion of objects in circular or curved paths, designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides, and studying the dynamics of objects in rotational motion.