Mass Spectrometer Formula question

In summary, using the formula m=(qBB'r)/E with the given values of electric and magnetic fields, radius of curvature, and charge of the ion, we can calculate the mass of the unknown ion to be 1.99x10^-26 kg or 12 u.
a4pat

Homework Statement

In the velocity selector region of a mass spectrometer, an electric field of
2.34 × 10^3 N/C is perpendicular to a magnetic field, B = 1.56 × 10^-2 T.
Abeam of positive ions (q = +e) then enters a region with the same B field,
but no E field. If the ions are detected at a radius of curvature of r = 1.20m,
what is the mass of the unknown ion?

Homework Equations

m=(qBB'r)/E

The Attempt at a Solution

Got the answer m=1.99x10^-26, or 12u

The question asks for the mass of the ion, it is my understanding that the formula I used solves for the mass of the atom, not an ion. I'm not sure if the question should be asking for the mass of the unknown atom or I am not using the correct formula, in which case how do I solve the mass of the ion?Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question! You are correct in using the formula m=(qBB'r)/E to solve for the mass of the ion. The only difference is that in this formula, q represents the charge of the ion, not the charge of the atom. So in this case, q = +e, where e is the charge of a single proton. Therefore, the mass you calculated, 1.99x10^-26 kg, is the mass of the unknown ion. This can also be written as 12 u, as you mentioned. Great job!

What is a Mass Spectrometer Formula?

A Mass Spectrometer Formula is a mathematical equation that describes the principles and processes involved in a mass spectrometer, which is an analytical instrument used to determine the mass and composition of molecules in a sample.

How is the Mass Spectrometer Formula calculated?

The Mass Spectrometer Formula is calculated using the mass-to-charge ratio (m/z) of ions. This is determined by dividing the mass of the ion by its charge. The calculation also takes into account the acceleration of the ion and the strength of the magnetic field.

What are the components of the Mass Spectrometer Formula?

The Mass Spectrometer Formula includes the following components: the ionization source, the mass analyzer, and the detector. Each component plays a crucial role in the overall function of the mass spectrometer and contributes to the final calculation.

Why is the Mass Spectrometer Formula important?

The Mass Spectrometer Formula is important because it allows scientists to accurately determine the molecular weight and composition of a sample. This information is essential in a wide range of fields, including chemistry, biology, and forensics.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the Mass Spectrometer Formula?

The accuracy of the Mass Spectrometer Formula can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of ionization source used, the stability of the magnetic field, and the sample preparation process. It is important for scientists to carefully control these variables to ensure the most accurate results.