1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Spectrometer Problem

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    Hi,

My Question:

Suppose the electic field between the two electric plates in the mass spectrometer is 2.48 x 10^4 V/m and the magnetic fields B=B'=0.68 T. The source contains carbon isotopes of mass number 12,13,14 from a long dead piece of tree(To estimate atomic masses multiply by 1.67 x 10^.27 kg). How far apart are the lines formed by the singlely charged ions of each type on the photographic film? What if the ions were doubly charged?

My work:

For carbon isotope 12

m=(qBB'r)/E

12(1.67 x 10^.27 kg)=((1.6 x 10^.19 coul)(0.68 T)(0.68T)(r))/(2.48 x 10^4 V/m)

r=.0067m

Is this correct :confused:

As for the the ions being doubly charged wouldn't I just double, q.

Thank You :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Your answer of r = 0.0067 m is correct for C12, but remember that if a particle travels a semicircle, the separation between lines will be the difference in the diameter (or 2*r) of the ion trajectories.

If the atoms are doubly ionized, then q is doubled. The electric force is twice, but so is the magnetic field.

Remember, if B is the field in the electrostatic field, and the forces of the electric field and magnetic field balance, then

q E = q v B, or v = E/B, thus v is independent of charge.

B' is the deflection field and r = mv / qB' .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?