1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Spectrometer

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    If I was given that a mass spectrometer was used to separate ions of mass 3.92x10^-25 kg and charge 3.20x10^-19 C from other ions and the ions were accelerated through a potential difference of 80 kV and then sent into a uniform magnetic field, where they were bent in a path of radius 0.60 m and after traveling 180° passed through a slit of width 1.00 mm and height 1.00 cm, where they were collected into a cup:

Also, the magnetic field, B, is 0.737865 T.

(a) How would I find the current if the machine was to separate out 80 mg of material per hour?
    (b) How would I calculate the thermal energy produced in the cup in 1 hour?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF :smile:

It's best to post homework questions in our homework section:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152
    Also, we like to see students make an attempt at solving a homework problem before receiving help. If you can tell us what you know, or think may be, towards solving this, we can help steer you along.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook