1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass spectrometer

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm having problem with a couple parts of this problem. I know how to work it (I think), but I'm consistently off by a couple orders of magnitude off the answer provided by the professor.

I've already found that the isotope 90SR+ needs to be given a speed of 25.72*10^4 m/s. This much I know is correct. From there I am asked to find the voltage difference required to accelerate the isotope to this speed.

2. Relevant equations

U=qV
    U=.5mv^2

q (elementary charge): 1.602*10^-19 C
    m (mass of isotope): 1.495*10^-25 Kg

3. The attempt at a solution

Set the two equations equal to one another. Find the kinetic energy of the isotope traveling at the needed speed. Divide this value by q (charge of a +1 ion). I get the answer 30866.73 V. Professor gets roughly 308 volts. Granted, his answer makes more sense than mine, but I cannot for the life of me find the fault in my work. Note: I calculated the mass of the isotope, but since it yielded the correct answer in a previous question, I assume it is correct. Someone tell me how the hell I'm off by two orders of magnitude?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2
    False alarm everybody. Typing out the problem helped me catch the error. Cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook