1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Spectrometer

1. Jun 5, 2005 #1
    Hey Everyone,

I just got to my last homework question, and well I got a bit stuck.

An ion source contains two isotopes of magnesium ( 24Mg, 25Mg). These ions travels undeflected through the velocity selector (B=0.850T, [E]=4.60x10^5V/m) of a mass spectrometer. If both isotopes are singly charged, how far apart are the lines on the ion deflector? Assume magnetic field strength in the ion separator in 0.250T.

First I went v=E/B 4.60x10^5V/m / 0.850T = 5.41x10^5m/s

Then I went Bv=E to find the new electric field

(0.250T)(5.41x10^5m/s) = 1.35 x 10^5 V/m

Now I really don't know what to do, or if that was even right. I know to find the distance I need to use the equation d=V/[E] but I just can't seem to get the right answer. Apparently the answer should be 0.045m. Thanks for any help you can give.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2005 #2
    Ok I went through it again and decided that to find my Voltage I needed to use change in energy over charge =V, so I went through and found the energy and divided by elementarty charge, then I put it into the equation d=V/electric field and still couldn't get hte answer, I am so lost!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?