1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass-spring-damper system

1. Jan 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]
    The mass-spring-damper-system is consist of a rotating body (Jo), a flat spring (E, I), a damper (b) and a connecting rod. Only the mass of the rotating body is to be considered. It is assumed that there's only a small angular travels due to the oscillation/vibration.

Find the differential equation φ(t) for the oscillation/vibration of the rotating body.

Values given: Jo = 0.3 kg/m² ; b = 200 kg/s ; a = 25cm ; L = 20 cm

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]F_{D} = [/tex] [tex]b . a . \dot{\varphi}[/tex]

[tex]F_{F} = [/tex] [tex]c .a . \varphi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

i have came up with two approaches.. but i don't know which one is correct

Solution 1:

[tex]J_{o}\ddot{\varphi} = -F_{F} . a - F_{D} . a[/tex]

[tex]J_{o}\ddot{\varphi} + b . a^{2} . \dot{\varphi} + c . a^{2} . \varphi = 0[/tex]

[tex]\ddot{\varphi} + \frac{b . a^{2}}{J_{o}} . \dot{\varphi} + \frac{c . a^{2}}{J_{o}} . \varphi = 0[/tex]

[tex]with[/tex]
    [tex] 2\delta = \frac{b . a^{2}}{J_{o}} ; \omega{o}^{2} = \frac{c . a^{2}}{J_{o}}[/tex]

Solution 2:

[tex]m . a . \ddot{\varphi} = -F_{F} - F_{D} [/tex]

[tex]m . a . \ddot{\varphi} + b . a \dot{\varphi} + c . a . \varphi = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\ddot {\varphi} + \frac{ba}{ma} \dot{\varphi} + \frac {ca}{ma}\varphi = 0[/tex]

[tex]with[/tex]
    [tex] 2\delta = \frac{b}{m} ; \omega_{o}^{2} = \frac {c}{m} [/tex]

both would give different answers for calculating other unknowns.. so i wonder which one is correct ?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?