Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Spring Damper system

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    Hello!

I am taking a course in dynamics and have a question about a spring-mass-damper system (see the attached file) that I want to solve using Lagrange equation (see attached file).

I am having trouble writing the equation of motion for this problem. At first I tried doing it the way I would for a system with two masses, connected by springs and dampers. This gave me a system of equations which I then used the State Space Approach on. I set the first mass=0, only to realize that I would not be able to get the homogenous solution this way.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you very much!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2
    If this is homework, it would be best to put it in that section where you receive a more thorough response, with some description of where you are actually having a problem. ie finding the kinetic energy, potential energy, the "x" to be used for K1, K2, and C1. Waht have you tried and where are you stuck.

Anyways here is a site that might help you out a bit more, from the University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
    http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~rhabash/ELG4152L10.pdf

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    Okay, I will repost this under the homework section! Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook