1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass spring system homework

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three equal masses are attached to a string at equal distances from one another and from the ends, which are rasten to supports so that there is a tension T in the string. Compute normal modes and natural frequencies of small transverse vibrations about equilibrium. Describe the normal modes.
    HINT: Assume the tension constant, neglect gravity and asume the string weightless.

similar systems:
    https://ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Courses/152/vibrating_systems.html

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi mezacom! Welcome to PF! :wink:

This is a Three-Mass, Four-Spring System, like the Two-Mass, Three-Spring System in your link.

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

4. May 27, 2010 #3
    I know how to solve a three mass four spring system for longitudinal vibration. I have solved it and photo it and you can find it in the link.
    I also photo how I think I should start my exercise with transversal vibration.
    Did I start solving my problem correctly.
    I don’t know how to get rid of all thetas.

http://www.mypicx.com/05272010/mass_spring_solved/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook