1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass spring system.

1. Oct 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A simple harmonic oscillator consists of a block of mass 2.00 kg attached to a spring of spring constant 100 N/m.When t =1.00 s, the position and velocity of the block are x =0.129 m and v =3.415 m/s. (a) What is the amplitude of the oscillations? What were the (b) position and (c) velocity of the block at t 0 s?

2. Relevant equations
    x(t)=X*cos(ωt+Φ)
    v(t)=-ω*X*sin(ωt+Φ)
    ω=sqrt(k/M)

3. The attempt at a solution
    so finding the angular velocity was easy. Just plugging in the values for k and m yielded 7.07rad/s
    i lost on where to go next. I think my understanding of the phase and Φ is a little weak. I was to just use the equation for displace meant and velocity, make Φ zero and plug in the other values, but I am prety sure that is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

For (a) you might want to consider an energy approach. :wink:

4. Oct 25, 2016 #3
    Note what happens if you divide v by x (using the formulas that you provided).
    The amplitude cancels and you are left with only one unknown (phi).
    Then the rest of the problem should be straightforward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted