Angular velocity is constant.

In summary: Method 2. $$If ##vt=\frac{r_0}{2}## then ##\omega = 4 \omega _0##. plugging it in we get ##\omega= \omega _0 e^{\frac{r_0}{r}}##This is the solution given in the text.
Astrum

Homework Statement

A mass ##m## whirls around on a string which passes through a ring. Neglect gravity. Initially the mass is at distance ##r_0## from the center and is revolving at angular velocity ##\omega _0##. The string is pulled with constant velocity ##v## starting at ##t=0## so that the radial distance to the mass decreases. Draw a force diagram and obtain a differential equation for ##\omega##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, the force diagram has only one force, which is the tension on the string acting on the mass. Because the string is shortening by ##v = \dot{r}##, I set up the equation ##T = F_r = m(-r\omega ^2 +r\omega +2v\omega)##

If we divide out ##m## we get ##\mathbf a = -r\omega ^2 +r\omega +2v\omega##, I'm not exactly sure what we're suppose to get on the other side.

I'm asking for a hint, or maybe a word of advice. The book says the answer should be simple and easy to integrate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Astrum! :smile:

Since you don't know what F is, what is the point of your radial equation?

Try the tangential equation. :wink:

The dimension of ##r\omega^2## and ##v\omega## is ## m \cdot s^{-2} ##, while the dimension of ## r\omega## is ## m \cdot s^{-1} ##. They cannot be added together.

Is the force-based approach mandatory here? Conservation of angular momentum seems far more suitable here.

Astrum said:
I set up the equation ##T = F_r = m(-r\omega ^2 +r\omega +2v\omega)##
That equation is dimensionally incorrect. The mrω term has units of momentum.
And check the sign on ##v = \dot r##.

What is conserved as the string is pulled in?

voko said:
The dimension of ##r\omega^2## and ##v\omega## is ## m \cdot s^{-2} ##, while the dimension of ## r\omega## is ## m \cdot s^{-1} ##. They cannot be added together.

Is the force-based approach mandatory here? Conservation of angular momentum seems far more suitable here.

Yes, this needs to be worked out through using force, rather than conservation of angular momentum.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Astrum! :smile:

Since you don't know what F is, what is the point of your radial equation?

Try the tangential equation. :wink:

I'm not sure what you mean by tangential, are you talking about ##\hat{\theta}##?

##a_r =( \ddot{r}-r\omega ^2 )\hat{r}## and ##a_{\theta} = (r\dot{\omega}+\dot{r}\omega )\hat{\theta}##, these each can be rewritten as ##a_r = -r\omega ^2 \hat{r}## and ##a_{\theta} = (r\dot{\omega}-v\omega)\hat{\theta}##. Are you saying to rewrite these in terms of tangential velocity? I'm not sure how that helps us.

Astrum said:
##a_{\theta} = (r\dot{\omega}-v\omega)\hat{\theta}##

One of the terms has a factor of 2 missing.

Are you saying to rewrite these in terms of tangential velocity? I'm not sure how that helps us.

Tangential velocity is directly related to angular velocity.

voko said:
One of the terms has a factor of 2 missing.
Tangential velocity is directly related to angular velocity.

Sorry, I always seem to miss terms when typing them =/

I realize that, ##r\omega = v##. What does this do for us though? All it does is eliminate the very thing we're interested in finding.

I don't really understand the direction you're pointing me in.

Because there's no force in the radial direction, we can say: ##0 = r\dot{\omega}-2v\omega##, if we split it up, we get:

$$ \int \frac{d\omega}{\omega} = -\int \frac{2v}{r} dt$$

:confused:

Last edited:
Since there is no tangential force, what can be said about the tangential acceleration?

Oops, I missed your edit. Use the fact that ## dr = -v dt ##.

Oh, and that minus sign in front of the RHS integral is definitely wrong.

voko said:
Oops, I missed your edit. Use the fact that ## dr = -v dt ##.

I tried to solve it with respect to ##t##, because that's what we're after, why would be integrate ##r##?

Doing it the way you said, we find ##\omega = r + C##, and that just isn't right.

My attempt is here: Solving this, we end up with $$\omega (t) = ce^{\frac{2v}{r}t}$$, solving for initial conditions: ##\omega (0) = \omega _0 ##, therefore ##\omega (t) = \omega _0 e^{\frac{2v}{r}t}##, this doesn't pass the hint given in the text though, so I'm still missing something.

The hint given says "if ##vt=\frac{r_0}{2}## then ##\omega = 4 \omega _0##. plugging it in we get ##\omega= \omega _0 e^{\frac{r_0}{r}}##"

Judging by how simple this turned out to be, I'm sure there's some little detail I just am not seeing.

Edit: sorry if I'm being sloppy, I'm doing half my work on paper and the other half in the posts, so I may have made an algebra error.

I do not see how you end up with either solution.

Method 1. $$

0 = \int\limits_{\omega_0}^{\omega} \frac {d\omega} {\omega} + 2 \int\limits_{r_0}^{r} \frac {dr} r = \ln \frac {\omega} {\omega_0} + 2 \ln \frac r {r_0} = \ln \frac {\omega} {\omega_0} + \ln \left( \frac r {r_0} \right)^2 = \ln \frac {\omega r^2} {\omega_0 r_0^2}

\\

\omega r^2 = \omega_0 r_0^2

$$ which is conservation of angular momentum, as was to be expected. That cannot possibly give you ## \omega = r + C##.

Method 2, where explicit dependence on ##t## is retained, is similar, keeping in mind that ## r = r_0 - vt ##.

Likes 1 person
voko said:
I do not see how you end up with either solution.

Method 1. $$

0 = \int\limits_{\omega_0}^{\omega} \frac {d\omega} {\omega} + 2 \int\limits_{r_0}^{r} \frac {dr} r = \ln \frac {\omega} {\omega_0} + 2 \ln \frac r {r_0} = \ln \frac {\omega} {\omega_0} + \ln \left( \frac r {r_0} \right)^2 = \ln \frac {\omega r^2} {\omega_0 r_0^2}

\\

\omega r^2 = \omega_0 r_0^2

$$ which is conservation of angular momentum, as was to be expected. That cannot possibly give you ## \omega = r + C##.

Method 2, where explicit dependence on ##t## is retained, is similar, keeping in mind that ## r = r_0 - vt ##.

I see, that makes a lot of sense. I was under the impression that I didn't need to place limits of integration on there. I'll be sure not to make that mistake again.

Thanks for the help, I made that one way harder than it needed to be.

Personally, I prefer using limits of integration from the beginning and avoid having indeterminate constants of integration. But that is not essential here. You would just get $$

\ln \omega + 2 \ln r = C
\\
\ln \omega r^2 = C
\\
\omega r^2 = k = e^C

$$ which is conservation of angular momentum again.

1. What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is typically measured in kilograms (kg) and is a fundamental property of an object.

2. What is a string?

A string is a thin, flexible piece of material that can be made from various materials such as nylon, cotton, or metal. It is often used for tying or connecting objects together.

3. How is a string related to mass and a ring?

A string can be used to connect a ring to a mass, creating a simple pendulum. The string provides a way for the mass to swing back and forth, while the ring serves as a point of attachment for the string.

4. What is a ring?

A ring is a circular object with a hole in the center. It can be made from various materials such as metal, plastic, or wood and is often worn as jewelry.

5. How do mass, string, and a ring relate to each other in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, mass, string, and a ring can be used to demonstrate concepts such as gravity, motion, and energy. For example, a pendulum consisting of a mass attached to a string and a ring can be used to show the relationship between gravity and the motion of the pendulum.