1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass suspended from spring in ship - Gravity problem

1. May 18, 2005 #1
    Hello all just a quick question,

A mass is suspended from a spring balance in a ship sailing along the equator with a speed v.
    (a) Show that the scale reading will be very close to wo = (1 ± 2ωv/g), where ω is the angular
    speed of Earth, and wo is the weight of the mass with the ship at rest.
    (b) Explain the ± sign

I have wrapped my head around the question but am having trouble coming up with the given equation.
    -The weight of the mass at rest will be equal to mg- the centripetal force of the rotating earth.
    -The weight of the mass when the ship is sailing will be close to wo, but differ depending of the direction the ship is sailing, hence the ±.
    -As this is the case I recognize that the velocity when calculating the centripetal force on the mass will be ω±v/r.

What I do not see is how 1 came into 1 ± 2ωv/g, nor where the mass or radius went

Thank you for any help,
    Lucas

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your approach is right. The vector sum of the spring force and gravity has to equal the centripetal force. Where [itex]v << \omega R[/itex] you can use the binomial expansion and eliminate the higher order term. The radius is implicit in [itex]\omega = v_{earth}/R[/tex]. It might be useful to think in terms of [itex]\omega R \pm v = R(\omega \pm \Delta \omega)[/itex].

The answer: 1 ± 2ωv/g is the acceleration. Multiply by m to give the normal force or weight read by the scale.

AM

Last edited: May 18, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?