Analyzing a Simple Pendulum: Length, Displacement, Velocity, and Restoring Force

• Thread starter toothpaste666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass String
In summary, the string has a length of .39m, the mass swings with a frequency of 0.8 Hz, and the restoring force is a function of m,g,L, and θmax.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

A mass,m, hangs from a string and swings with a frequency of 0.8 Hz with
a maximum
displacement of 0.1 rad. The equation of motion is given by
x=Acos(ωt).

A) What is the length of the string?
B) What is the maximum displacement of the mass in meters?
C) What is the velocity of the mass as a function of time? Leave the answer as a function of m,g,L, and θmax
(Hint: Take the derivative of the equation of motion).
D)
What is the restoring force acting on the mass as a function of time? Leave the answer as a function of m,g,L, and θmax
(Hint: Find the acceleration)

Homework Equations

ω=sqrt(g/l)
ω=2pif

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a) ω = 2pif and ω = sqrt(g/l) (since this is a simple pendulum)
so
2pif=sqrt(g/l)
or
l=g/(4pi^2f^2) = 9.8/(4pi^2(.8)^2) = .39m

for part b i can't figure out how to get .1 rads into meters. this is my attempt so far
(.1 rad) (cycle/2pi rad) (second/.8cycle) = .02 seconds

for part c take the derivativedx/dt = d/dt(Acos(sqrt(g/l)t))
v = -Asin(sqrt(g/l)t)(sqrt(g/l)
im guessing the theta max that the question wants v defined in terms of will be part of Apart d
a = dv/dt = d/dt(-Asin(sqrt(g/l)t)(sqrt(g/l))
= -Acos(sqrt(g/l)t)(g/l)

then use F = ma = -kx

m * -Acos(sqrt(g/l)t)(g/l)

any feedback?

Physics news on Phys.org
wait i think i got it.
for part b
x= l*theta = .39m * .01
or is it .39 * .01 * 2pi? (radians confuse me)

toothpaste666 said:
wait i think i got it.
for part b
x= l*theta = .39m * .01
or is it .39 * .01 * 2pi? (radians confuse me)
You mean .39m * .1, right? Yes, that's near enough. (The whole point of using radians as the unit of angle is to make this relationship easy: radius x angle = arc length.)
But note that it really gives you the arc length displacement, not the horizontal displacement. If you want the horizontal displacement you need to use sin(), but for such a small angle there's very little difference. Besides, in order to solve (a) you already had to assume the angle is so small that the two are near enough the same.

Likes toothpaste666
haruspex said:
You mean .39m * .1, right? Yes, that's near enough. (The whole point of using radians as the unit of angle is to make this relationship easy: radius x angle = arc length.)
But note that it really gives you the arc length displacement, not the horizontal displacement. If you want the horizontal displacement you need to use sin(), but for such a small angle there's very little difference. Besides, in order to solve (a) you already had to assume the angle is so small that the two are near enough the same.
oops yes i meant .1 And yea I assuming sin(theta) is approximately equal to theta. I probably should have mentioned that. The rest of it looks ok though? particularly part d? I wasnt entirely sure what to do once I found the acceleration so i just set ma= -kx and plugged in a

toothpaste666 said:
oops yes i meant .1 And yea I assuming sin(theta) is approximately equal to theta. I probably should have mentioned that. The rest of it looks ok though? particularly part d? I wasnt entirely sure what to do once I found the acceleration so i just set ma= -kx and plugged in a
Yes, but you need to replace A by some function involving thetamax.

couldnt i replace the A with l * thetamax?

toothpaste666 said:
couldnt i replace the A with l * thetamax?
That'll do it.

Likes toothpaste666
thanks for your help

1. What is mass swinging on a string?

Mass swinging on a string is a physical phenomenon where a mass is attached to a string and allowed to swing back and forth due to the force of gravity. This is also known as a pendulum.

2. How does mass swinging on a string work?

Mass swinging on a string works through the principle of conservation of energy. The initial potential energy of the mass is converted into kinetic energy as it swings back and forth, and the cycle continues until all of the energy is dissipated through friction.

3. What factors affect the motion of mass swinging on a string?

The motion of mass swinging on a string is affected by several factors, including the length of the string, the mass of the object, and the amplitude (maximum angle of swing). The force of gravity and the presence of air resistance can also affect the motion.

4. How is the period of mass swinging on a string calculated?

The period, or the time it takes for the mass to complete one full swing, can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g) where T is the period, L is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

5. What are some real-world applications of mass swinging on a string?

Mass swinging on a string has many practical applications, such as timekeeping devices like pendulum clocks and metronomes. It is also used in seismology to measure the intensity of earthquakes. In addition, the concept of mass swinging on a string is used in amusement park rides and as a teaching tool in physics classrooms.