Mass Tipping a Plank: Independent & Dependent Variables + Data

• Thread starter uniquegirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the Independent and Dependent variable is the mass of the coins on the ruler. The data you are supposed to collect is the tipping distance.
uniquegirl
Homework Statement
Carry out your own investigation into the relationship between the mass of an object on a plank (𝑚𝑚) and the distance from the fulcrum (𝑑𝑑) at which it will cause the plank to tip.
Relevant Equations
You will use a ruler to model the plank and a pile of quarters (6) to model the mass of the cyclist. Set up the ruler so that the coin is just on the point of tipping the ruler. Once the ruler is positioned, do not move it. Vary the mass of the pile of coins (by adding more coins). Move the coins (not the ruler) to find the new tipping point.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1567809385305-png.249313/
Can someone tell me what the Independent and Dependent variable is? And what is the data I'm supposed to collect? Is it the distance when the coins tip or is it the mass of the coins? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
uniquegirl said:
Set up the ruler so that the coin is just on the point of tipping the ruler. Once the ruler is positioned, do not move it. Vary the mass of the pile of coins (by adding more coins). Move the coins (not the ruler) to find the new tipping point.
Hi @uniquegirl and welcome to PF.

The instructions clearly state what you are supposed to do. The independent variable is the number of coins which proportional to the mass ##m## on the ruler. The dependent variable is the tipping distance ##d##. You are free to choose any number of coins to put on the ruler. That makes the mass ##m## the independent variable. However, once you make that choice, there is only one tipping distance ##d##. That makes ##d## the dependent variable. In other words, the value of ##d## depends on your choice of the value of ##m##.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Lnewqban and uniquegirl
kuruman said:
Hi @uniquegirl and welcome to PF.

The instructions clearly state what you are supposed to do. The independent variable is the number of coins which proportional to the mass ##m## on the ruler. The dependent variable is the tipping distance ##d##. You are free to choose any number of coins to put on the ruler. That makes the mass ##m## the independent variable. However, once you make that choice, there is only one tipping distance ##d##. That makes ##d## the dependent variable. In other words, the value of ##d## depends on your choice of the value of ##m##.
Thank you so much for your reply. When I do my graphs, I use the mass of the coin (for example 5g) vs the distance (eg: 3cm)? Not how many coins I used right? So each time I add a new coin it increases in mass. When there are 2 coins the mass would be 10g etc.
Also what type of relationship do you think it is? (Inverse Relationship, Square Relationship etc)

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
uniquegirl said:
Thank you so much for your reply. When I do my graphs, I use the mass of the coin (for example 5g) vs the distance (eg: 3cm)? Not how many coins I used right? So each time I add a new coin it increases in mass.

It won't matter mass or number of coins ( assuming they are identical coins ), but the problem statement wants you to use mass.

uniquegirl said:
Also what type of relationship do you think it is? (Inverse Relationship, Square Relationship etc)

That is the objective ( to determine a relationship). You should run the experiment to find out. It doesn't hurt, to make a prediction, but is should be your prediction you are testing. What model you can come up with to make your prediction is going to depend a little on how much physics you know?

• Informative
Likes uniquegirl and Lnewqban
To get the dependence of the
uniquegirl said:
Thank you so much for your reply. When I do my graphs, I use the mass of the coin (for example 5g) vs the distance (eg: 3cm)? Not how many coins I used right? So each time I add a new coin it increases in mass. When there are 2 coins the mass would be 10g etc.
No, you plot the distance vs. mass or number of coins. What follows "vs." is the independent variable and is placed on the horizontal axis.

• Informative
Likes uniquegirl and Lnewqban
Thank you guys so much! you guys are life savers :)

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the purpose of mass tipping a plank experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to investigate the relationship between the mass placed on a plank and the angle at which the plank tips, and to determine the independent and dependent variables in this scenario.

2. What is an independent variable in the mass tipping a plank experiment?

The independent variable in this experiment is the mass placed on the plank. It is the variable that the experimenter controls and manipulates.

3. What is a dependent variable in the mass tipping a plank experiment?

The dependent variable in this experiment is the angle at which the plank tips. It is the variable that is being measured and is affected by the independent variable.

4. How is data collected in the mass tipping a plank experiment?

Data is collected by measuring the angle at which the plank tips for different masses placed on it. This data is then recorded in a table or graph for analysis.

5. What is the expected outcome of the mass tipping a plank experiment?

The expected outcome is that as the mass placed on the plank increases, the angle at which the plank tips will also increase. This is because the greater the mass, the more force is applied to the plank, causing it to tip at a steeper angle.