Solve Mass to Volume Problem: Ca + 2H2O -> Ca(OH)2 + H2

In summary, the conversation discusses a mass to volume problem involving the reaction of calcium with water to produce hydrogen gas. After balancing the equation and finding the moles of calcium, the calculated volume of hydrogen gas seems to be incorrect due to an incorrectly placed coefficient in the equation. The correct answer should be 5.59L instead of 11.2L.
mystix
[SOLVED] Mass to Volume Problem

I have a mass to volume sample problem in my textbox and the answer seems to be wrong. Could someone please look this over and let me know if the answer to the sample problem is in fact wrong?
Thanks very much!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What volume of H2(g) at STP can be produced when 10.0g of calcium is reacted with excess water?

Ca(s) + 2 H2O(l) -> Ca(OH)2(s) + H2(g)

1. Balance the equation: Ca + 2 H2O -> Ca(OH)2 + 2 H2
(Where does the 2 in 2 H2 come from? This is an unbalanced equation.)
2. Find the moles of Ca reacted: mol Ca = 0.2494mol
3. Proportionality: x/2 = 0.2494mol/1 for which x = 0.4988mol
(Again the 2 from 2 H2 is used here, which is why I think the answer is wrong.)
4. Volume of H2: 0.4988mol x 22.4L/mol = 11.2L
(Shouldn’t the answer be 5.59L?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you, there should not be a 2 infront of H2 in the equation and the answer should be 5.59L

I can confirm that the answer to this mass to volume problem is indeed incorrect. The balanced equation should be Ca + 2H2O -> Ca(OH)2 + H2, where 2 moles of H2 are produced for every 1 mole of Ca reacted. Therefore, the correct proportionality should be x/2 = 0.2494 mol/1, resulting in x = 0.4988 mol. This means that the volume of H2 produced should be 0.4988 mol x 22.4 L/mol = 11.2 L, not 5.59 L. It is important to always double check the balanced equation and proportionality when solving mass to volume problems to ensure the accuracy of the answer.

1. What is the mass to volume problem?

The mass to volume problem is a type of stoichiometry problem that involves calculating the volume of a reactant or product given its mass and the balanced chemical equation.

2. How do you solve a mass to volume problem?

To solve a mass to volume problem, you first need to determine the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, convert the given mass to moles using the molar mass of the substance. Use the mole ratio from the balanced equation to find the number of moles of the desired substance. Finally, use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the volume of the substance at the given temperature and pressure.

3. What is the significance of Ca + 2H2O -> Ca(OH)2 + H2 in the context of mass to volume problems?

This equation represents a chemical reaction that involves the conversion of calcium (Ca) and water (H2O) into calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) and hydrogen gas (H2). In a mass to volume problem, this equation would be used to determine the volume of either the reactant (Ca or H2O) or the product (Ca(OH)2 or H2) given the mass of the other substance.

4. What are the units for mass and volume in a mass to volume problem?

The units for mass are typically grams (g) or kilograms (kg), while the units for volume can vary depending on the state of the substance. In gases, the volume is often measured in liters (L) or milliliters (mL), while in solids or liquids, the volume may be measured in cubic centimeters (cm3) or liters (L).

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a mass to volume problem?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to convert the given mass to moles before using the mole ratio in the balanced equation. It is also important to make sure that the units for mass and volume are consistent, and to use the correct gas constant (R) for the units of volume being used (0.0821 L·atm/mol·K for gases measured in liters, 8.314 L·kPa/mol·K for gases measured in milliliters, and 62.36 cm3·atm/mol·K for gases measured in cubic centimeters).