Mass Uncertainty: Position, Velocity & Mass

In summary, the Uncertainty Principle is often used to explain the relationship between a particle's momentum and position. However, it is also possible for the uncertainty in a particle's mass to be affected by knowing the position and velocity of the particle. This is due to the quantization of mass in nature, but the reason for certain standard masses is still unknown. Therefore, the uncertainty principle may need to be revised to reflect the uncertainty in a particle's mass as well.
soothsayer
Whenever I hear the Uncertainty Principle used, It's always to talk about how a particles' momentum can only be known to a certain range if it's position is known too precisely, and in problems I've encountered, or vice-versa. In problems I've encountered, often times I'll be asked to find the range of velocities a particle can have given the particle's know range of positions, implying that the momentum uncertainty is really caused by a velocity uncertainty. My question is, can you know position and velocity extremely well and create an uncertainty in the particle's mass? I've never heard anything deal with this idea but it seems like it would be possible and that the implications of it could get interesting. Is there anything that anyone can tell me about this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi soothsayer! :smile:
soothsayer said:
My question is, can you know position and velocity extremely well and create an uncertainty in the particle's mass?

mass is quantised …

just as you can't have an electron with a charge of nearly one unit, you can't have an electron with a mass of nearly the mass of an electron :wink:

(and the whole of quantum field theory relies on there being certain standard masses)

tiny-tim said:
mass is quantised …
This is true in nature but nobody knows why.

If you look at the operator algebra for E (energy) and p (momentum) one can derive E²-p² = m² (using on Lorentz covariance i.e. SO(3,1)) with m being a c-number commuting with all other operators. That means that all physical states in a relativistic quantum field theory labelled with E and p must obey (E²-p²)|E,p> = m²|E,p> where m is a Lorentz scalar.

But nobody is able to tell you why there are certain values for m. It could be any value you like. There is no rule, law, alebra or something else from which quantization of mass could be derived.

So then, shouldn't the uncertainty principle more accurately be written as
latex2png.2.php?z=100&eq=\Delta%20x%20\Delta%20v%20\ge%20\frac{\hbar}{2}.jpg
?

1. What is mass uncertainty?

Mass uncertainty refers to the range of possible values for the mass of a particular object or particle. It is a measure of the imprecision or uncertainty in determining the exact mass of an object.

2. How is mass uncertainty calculated?

Mass uncertainty is typically calculated using the formula Δm = m - m0, where Δm is the uncertainty in mass, m is the measured mass, and m0 is the accepted or known mass.

3. How does uncertainty in position affect mass uncertainty?

The uncertainty in position can affect mass uncertainty because it can impact the accuracy of the measurement of an object's mass. If the position of an object is uncertain, it can lead to a larger range of possible values for the mass.

4. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and velocity of a subatomic particle. This means that there will always be some level of uncertainty in measuring these properties.

5. How does mass uncertainty impact scientific experiments?

Mass uncertainty can have a significant impact on scientific experiments, especially those involving subatomic particles. It can affect the accuracy and precision of measurements and can lead to potential errors in data analysis and conclusions.