1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass using triple integrals

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the mass m of the pyramid with base in the plane z = 9 and sides formed by the three planes y = 0 and y - x = 5 and 6x + y + z = 28, if the density of the solid is given by δ(x,y,z) = y.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This problem is driving me insane. It takes me about 45 minutes of algebra to evaluate this incorrectly set up integral..

I integrated y in the order dz dy dx, limits, respectively:

9 to 28-6x-y
    0 to 5+x
    0 to 2

Is that correct? I don't really know how to get the limits for x.. this is so hard to picture in my mind!

To get 2, I solved the system 6x + y + z = 28 with z = 9 and y = 5 + x, and for 0, I just guessed.

Help please!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

May I suggest that you draw a sketch and get a clear grip on the limits before you try to evaluate anything.

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3
    Well, that's what I'm trying to do..

5. Mar 18, 2012 #4
    I drew it again, the only thing different is that my order is dzdxdy.

I don't understand how to picture these things, it's very difficult.. I just drew an xy plane noting that z = 9 for the base, and looked at that. What would you do?

6. Mar 18, 2012 #5
    I think this is far beyond me.

7. Mar 18, 2012 #6
    Nevermind, found a good explanation online of something called the "shadow method."

8. Mar 18, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you figured out it gets tricky if you use any order of integration other than dzdxdy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook