Mass zero field self-energy part?

In summary: Cheng Li found that in principle, all the theories we have now should be `cutoff` theories that are valid up to some energy scale. Once energies approach the cutoff, the theory becomes unusable as an effective field theory and one needs to uncover a more fundamental theory.
Neitrino
Mass zero field can have a self-energy part?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean like a photon's self-energy diagrams...? Of course. The same goes for gravitons and gluons and used to work for neutrinos, too.

Daniel.

Thks for reply

If massless field suppose fermion field can have self-energy part...then it is infinity and this infinity appears in denominator of full propagator? In massive filed this infinity of self-energy is absorbed by bare infinite mass.
So what does this infinite self-energy does in massless field?

George

It may go into the renormalization of the coupling constant: electric charge for em interaction, coupling constant for QCD and unfortunately not in the renormalization of Cavendish's constant: G_{N}.

Daniel.

I also was thinking like that, but as I understand from Ryder or Cheng Li
they begin renormalization of coupling constant from four-ponit particle Green function. I if consider only two-point function... (series of tadpoles)...

Nope, renormalizations deals only with OPI Green functions. They give the loops and regularization of those integrals is needed.

Daniel.

Thks dex I am really weak in renormalizations.
And when considering cutoff of this self-energy part, we make it finite, what to do with assumption that bare mass should be infinite? if it is assumed to be still infinite... after putting some cutoff self-energy is made finite.

Thks
George

I'm not into this "cutoff" procedure, I'm more like a "dimensional regularization" fan, simply because it's highly useful in QED, QCD,quantum gravity and so on.

I can still tell you though that no matter what the regularization is, the result should be the same and the renormalization procedure is identical.

The self-energy is still infinite, because you still have to take the limit [itex]\Lambda \rightarrow +\infty [/itex]...

Daniel.

Neitrino said:
Thks dex I am really weak in renormalizations.
And when considering cutoff of this self-energy part, we make it finite, what to do with assumption that bare mass should be infinite? if it is assumed to be still infinite... after putting some cutoff self-energy is made finite.

Thks
George

In the spirit of effective field theories, all the theories we have now should be `cutoff` theories, that is they are valid up to some energy scale and one should in principle put a cutoff of the order of that energy scale (a hard cutoff on all momentum integrals is not the bets way to go about it since it breaks all sorts of symmetries, but it`s a useful way to think about using a cutoff, to get started).

Then the bare constants are simply not infinite. That`s all. The cutoff is never taken to infinity and everything is finite. If a theory is renormalizable, all physical results will be insensitive to the cutoff, as long as all external energies are much below the cutoff used. When energies approach the cutoff, then the theory becomes useless as an effective field theory and one needs to uncover a more fundamental theory.

Hope this makes sense. And helps.

Regards

Pat

1. What is mass zero field self-energy part?

Mass zero field self-energy part refers to the contribution of a particle's self-interaction to its total energy in the absence of external fields. It is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory and is important in understanding the behavior of elementary particles.

2. How is mass zero field self-energy part calculated?

The mass zero field self-energy part is calculated using Feynman diagrams, which represent the interactions between particles. The self-energy contribution is obtained by summing over all possible diagrams that involve the particle in question.

3. Why is the mass zero field self-energy part important?

The mass zero field self-energy part has important implications for the mass and stability of particles. It can lead to corrections in the mass of a particle and can also affect the strength of its interactions with other particles.

4. How does the mass zero field self-energy part affect particle physics experiments?

In particle physics experiments, the mass zero field self-energy part must be taken into account in order to accurately measure the properties of particles. It can also impact the interpretation of experimental results and theoretical predictions.

5. Can the mass zero field self-energy part be experimentally observed?

While the mass zero field self-energy part cannot be directly measured, its effects can be observed through precise measurements of particle properties and interactions. Additionally, theoretical calculations can also predict its contribution to various physical phenomena.