Max Mass of Block C to Slide Block A & B Together

• Thread starter superdave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves three blocks, A, B, and C, with masses m_A, m_B, and m_C respectively. Block B rests on top of block A, which is on a horizontal table. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block A and the table is mu_k, and the coefficient of static friction between blocks A and B is mu_s. A light string is attached to block A and passes over a frictionless pulley, with block C suspended from the other end. The question is asking for the maximum mass m_C that block C can have in order for blocks A and B to slide together when the system is released from rest. The equation for acceleration is derived using the forces and masses involved, and the
superdave
Block B, of mass m_B, rests on block A, of mass m_A, which in turn is on a horizontal table top View Figure . The coefficient of kinetic friction between block A and the table top is mu_k and the coefficient of static friction between block A and block B is mu_s. A light string attached to block A passes over a frictionless, massless pulley and block C is suspended from the other end of the string.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1007012/5/yf_Figure_5_66.jpg

What is the largest mass m_C that block C can have so that blocks A and B still slide together when the system is released from rest?

Okay, I get:

a = [m_c *g - (m_a + m_b)*g * mu_k]/(m_a + m_b)

and the max a is m_b * g * mu_s.

I set them equal, and end up with
m_c = (m_a + m_b)(mu_k + mu_s * m_b)

but that isn't correct. help?

Physics news on Phys.org
the max a is m_b * g * mu_s.
m_b * g * mu_s is a force, not an acceleration.

I'm stuck on the same problem. I get the same acceleration that you get, but for the Max Acceleration I get (mu_s * m_b * g) / m_b, and then i set them equal to each other, but I still get it wrong. There must be something I am overlooking.

1. What is the "Max Mass of Block C to Slide Block A & B Together" experiment?

The "Max Mass of Block C to Slide Block A & B Together" experiment is a physics experiment where a block of mass C is placed on top of two blocks, A and B, and the mass of block C is gradually increased until the blocks start to slide together.

2. Why is this experiment important?

This experiment is important because it helps us understand the relationship between mass, friction, and force. It also allows us to determine the maximum weight that can be placed on top of the two blocks before they start to slide.

3. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include three blocks of the same material and size (blocks A, B, and C), a flat surface, and a scale to measure the mass of block C.

4. How is the "Max Mass of Block C to Slide Block A & B Together" experiment conducted?

The experiment is conducted by placing blocks A and B next to each other on a flat surface. Block C is then placed on top of blocks A and B. The mass of block C is gradually increased until the blocks start to slide together. The mass of block C at this point is recorded as the maximum mass.

5. What factors can affect the results of this experiment?

The results of this experiment can be affected by the type of surface the blocks are placed on, the material and size of the blocks, and any external forces acting on the blocks. It is important to conduct the experiment on a flat and even surface to get accurate results.