1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masses slide on a smooth wedge

1. Sep 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Snap1.jpg
    Mass m lies on a Weighing scale which is on Wagon M. the inclined surface is smooth, between m and M there is enough friction to prevent m from moving.
    1) What does the weigh show?
    2) What is the minimum coefficient of friction between m and M to prevent slipping?
    3) What is M's acceleration parallel to the slope if there is no friction between m and M? can it be bigger than ##g\sin\alpha##?
    4) What does the Weighing scale show in this case?

2. Relevant equations
    Mass-acceleration: F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) F=ma. ##a_{\alpha}## is parallel to the slope:
    $$(M+m)g\sin\alpha=(M+m)a_{\alpha}~~\rightarrow~~a_\alpha=g\sin\alpha,~~a_y=a_\alpha\sin\alpha=g\sin^2\alpha$$
    W is the weight, what the scale shows:
    $$W=mg\sin\alpha$$
    Snap1.jpg 2)
    $$a_x=a_\alpha\cos\alpha=g\sin\alpha\cos\alpha$$
    $$f=ma_x:~mg\mu=mg\sin\alpha\cos\alpha~~\rightarrow~~\mu_{\rm min}=\sin\alpha\cos\alpha$$
    3)
    $$(M+m)g\sin\alpha=Ma_\alpha~~\rightarrow~~a_\alpha=\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin\alpha$$
    Yes, it's bigger than ##g\sin\alpha##
    4)
    $$a_y=a_\alpha\sin\alpha=\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha$$
    $$W=ma_y=\frac{m}{M}(M+m)g\sin^2\alpha$$

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One way to check an answer is to consider limiting cases. Does your answer for (1) give you a reasonable result for ##\alpha## going to ##0## or ##\pi/2##?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  4. Sep 10, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Justify that claim. Consider the FBD of m.

5. Sep 11, 2016 #4
    ##a_\alpha=g\sin\alpha## seems reasonable since when α→0 aα→0
    The weight, as the scale shows:
    $$mg-W=ma_y=mg\sin^2\alpha~~\rightarrow~~W=(1-\sin^2\alpha)mg$$

6. Sep 11, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right. Which simplifies to....?

7. Sep 11, 2016 #6
    1)
    $$mg-W=ma_y=mg\sin^2\alpha~~\rightarrow~~W=(1-\sin^2\alpha)mg=mg\cos^2\alpha$$
    4)
    $$mg-W=ma_y=m\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha~~\rightarrow~~W=\left[ 1-\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha \right]mg$$

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  8. Sep 11, 2016 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK
    You have ##a_y=\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha##. Does this behave properly as ##\alpha \rightarrow \pi/2##?

You need to go back and rework parts (2), (3), and (4). Use separate FBD's for m and M.

9. Sep 12, 2016 #8
    Snap1.jpg
    The first equation is for M and the second for m. W is m's weight as M sees it, i.e. the force applied on M by m:
    $$\left\{\begin{array}{l} (W+mg)\sin\alpha-W\mu\cos\alpha=Ma_\alpha \\ ma_\alpha\cos\alpha =W\mu \end{array}\right. ~~\rightarrow~~W=\frac{mMg\sin\alpha\cos\alpha}{(\mu\cos^2\alpha-\sin\alpha\cos\alpha)m+M\mu}$$
    W becomes 0 when α=0, wrong. i expect it to be mg, am i right?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  10. Sep 12, 2016 #9

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not try part 2). Once you get that, move on to parts 3 & 4.

Also, for 3 & 4, the equations of motion for m and M are coupled, so you may not be able to solve them independently.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  11. Sep 12, 2016 #10
    Post #8 is for part (2), but the answer doesn't comply with the boundary condition ##\alpha=0##. i expect, for ##\alpha=0## that W=mg, but if i substitute ##\alpha=0## in my W, i get W=0

12. Sep 12, 2016 #11

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't really understand post #8. From part 1 you have ##W_1 = mgcos^2(\alpha)##

So:

a) What is the maximum frictional force between ##m## and ##M##?

b) What horizontal frictional force between ##m## and ##M## is needed to sustain the motion without slipping?

13. Sep 12, 2016 #12
    The maximum friction force between m and M is ##f=mg\mu\cos^2\alpha##. the horizontal friction force needed to sustain the motion is what i wrote in the OP:
    $$a_x=a_\alpha\cos\alpha=g\sin\alpha\cos\alpha$$
    $$f=ma_x,~~W\mu=ma_x,~~mg\mu\sin^2\alpha=mg\sin\alpha\cos\alpha~~\rightarrow~~\mu_{\rm min}=\frac{1}{\tan\alpha}$$

14. Sep 12, 2016 #13

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've got the ##sin^2## and ##cos^2## mixed up. It's ##\mu \ge tan \alpha##.

Anyway, I think 3 & 4 are quite tricky. You can see by energy considerations that ##M## has more energy in case 3 after both masses have fallen a given vertical height, as ##m## has no horizontal velocity in case 3, unlike case 1. Or, to put it another way:

The larger ##m## becomes, the more force it exerts on ##M## and the greater the acceleration of ##M##. But, the greater the vertical acceleration, the less proportion of the normal weight of ##m## is felt by ##M##.

Can you see how to use this to set up some equations for ##a## and ##W_3##?

15. Sep 13, 2016 #14
    I made in post #1 for case 3:
    $$(M+m)g\sin\alpha=Ma_\alpha~~\rightarrow~~a_\alpha=\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin\alpha$$
    $$a_y=a_\alpha\sin\alpha=\frac{M+m}{M}g\sin^2\alpha$$
    $$mg-W_3=ma_y~~\rightarrow~~W=(g-a_y)m=\left[ 1-\frac{M+m}{M}\sin^2\alpha \right]mg$$

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  16. Sep 13, 2016 #15

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In post #8 you assume correctly that both blocks have the same component of acceleration, ##a_{\alpha}##, along the incline . Is this true for parts 3 and 4?

For these parts, in what direction must the two blocks have the same component of acceleration?

EDIT: Backing up to your first post, you wrote for part 3 that ##(M+m)g\sin\alpha=Ma_\alpha##. Can you explain how you got the left side?

17. Sep 13, 2016 #16
    ##a_y## is the same for M and m. did you see my new, completed, post #14?

18. Sep 13, 2016 #17

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see how you got the left side of the first equation.

Yes.

19. Sep 13, 2016 #18

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see how you got this, but it's not right. You imagine that ##m## is pushing with its full, normal weight down on ##M##. But, because they are both accelerating downwards, it should be:

##(M + W_3)## instead of ##(M + m)##

20. Sep 15, 2016 #19
    3) The first is FBD for M and the second is for m:
    $$\left\{ \begin{array}{l} [W+Mg]\sin\alpha=Ma_\alpha \\ mg-W=ma_y=ma_\alpha\sin\alpha \end{array}\right.~~\rightarrow~~a_\alpha=\frac{(M+m)\sin\alpha}{M+m\sin^2\alpha}$$

21. Sep 15, 2016 #20

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you add "g" somewhere, you've got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted