Massive dust storm in Australia

In summary: I decided that it must be close to noon because there was a light breeze blowing..This is the second time I've been in a big duststorm like this. The first time was in Melbourne, in 1983, and that was even bigger. It was like night time, and on that occasion I had no idea at all why it was suddenly pitch black outside at 3 in the afternoon. Most of the dust was up quite high, and it blocked out the Sun like nothing I've seen. It was like an eclipse; but we do know those in advance. When you don't expect it and don't know what is going on, it is scary. Apocalypse automatically comes to mind. Even when you know
sylas
Science Advisor
I woke up this morning and the light was freaky! Everything seemed orange. Outside, the sky is pale orange, like fog but the wrong color. Trees a few houses across are fading into the orange ... we've got a dust storm.

I live in Newcastle, a bit north of Sydney. This storm came up last night and apparently covers most of New South Wales, where it has caused a fair bit of chaos. Sydney had it very bad. The dust is now headed for Brisbane -- 1000 kilometers north.

See Sydney turns red: dust storm blankets city at the Sydney Morning Herald for more.

Felicitations -- sylas

miro-sydney-harbour-bridge-600x400.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah that was crazy, the wind woke me up about 6 in the morning and it was blood red outside... scared the hell out of me lol. Its like the apocalypse haha

Can these be forecast, or do they just surprise you all of a sudden, with orange-red light in the morning (sounds kind of cool, btw)?

I can imagine people with asthma or other respiratory problems this may be an issue, but does it pose a hazard to people without such problems?

lisab said:
Can these be forecast, or do they just surprise you all of a sudden, with orange-red light in the morning (sounds kind of cool, btw)?

I can imagine people with asthma or other respiratory problems this may be an issue, but does it pose a hazard to people without such problems?

It's not really a big hazard; though it's a good idea to stay indoors if you have respiratory problems. It makes everything dirty. I normally put a cover over my car, and so this morning I was thinking... "oh good -- I'm glad I had that cover".

Then I had a look outside and said a bad word. Left the cover off last night. I'll need to wash the car again.

This is the second time I've been in a big duststorm like this. The first time was in Melbourne, in 1983, and that was even bigger. It was like night time, and on that occasion I had no idea at all why it was suddenly pitch black outside at 3 in the afternoon. Most of the dust was up quite high, and it blocked out the Sun like nothing I've seen. It was like an eclipse; but we do know those in advance. When you don't expect it and don't know what is going on, it is scary. Apocalypse automatically comes to mind. Even when you know the cause it still leaves you quite discombobulated at a primal kind of level.

Here's a dramatic shot of the 1983 dust storm rolling in towards Melbourne.
sand_storm.jpg

Cheers -- sylas

Sylas, that last picture you posted of the dust storm heading towards Melbourne is incredible.. I've never seen anything like that in my life, didn't even think it occurred outside of hollywood... W-O-W

Sorry! said:
Sylas, that last picture you posted of the dust storm heading towards Melbourne is incredible.. I've never seen anything like that in my life, didn't even think it occurred outside of hollywood... W-O-W

Quite. Actually, big storms like this are not unusual. What's unusual is when they get all the way down to big cities like Melbourne or Sydney. In towards the center where they originate they are quite common. You also get big duststorms in plenty of other places around the world; and they are certainly impressive if you can see them coming in. In 1983 I did not see it arriving, unfortunately. I just looked out the office window and noticed it was nighttime already. At 3pm.

The comparison with an apocalypse is inevitable if you aren't used to them; it is really freaky. But it's just dust.

This is fun. Here are some more photos. I've attached thumbnails, and you link to the page for more.

Awesome photos of duststorms in the 1930s in Texas: http://www.weru.ksu.edu/new_weru/multimedia/dustbowl/dustbowlpics.html .
theb1365small.jpg

You still get them: The May 29 2004 duststorm, Kansas.
glddust.JPG

Iraq: Mother of all Dust Storms.
Dust Storm3t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The pic of the '83 storm reminds me of a Arizona monsoon pic I saw once.

This isn't the one but it gives you an idea...
http://mygallery.eph2810.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/arizona-monsoon.jpg

It scared the crap out of me... Actually, I thought it was really cool :biggrin:

As I tumbled over to change positions in my sleep this morning at 6am, I took a short glance at what seemed like my closed blinds were separating me from some deep orange apocalyptic wasteland. I pulled the blinds and... oh damn it was a dirty orange/red everywhere!
My attention was quickly turned away from this amazing sight when my cat climbed up to the window and was begging to be let in. (maybe he too was superstitious of red skies?).

At 7:30am I tried to search for the sun in the sky - which was quite a difficult task for me as I had no clue which way to search for north/south etc. without a starry night sky, let alone no sky at all - and concluded that this pale blue ball among all the orange was the sun. I hope I didn't mistake this for the moon...?

sylas said:
I woke up this morning and the light was freaky! Everything seemed orange. Outside, the sky is pale orange, like fog but the wrong color. Trees a few houses across are fading into the orange ... we've got a dust storm.

I live in Newcastle, a bit north of Sydney. This storm came up last night and apparently covers most of New South Wales, where it has caused a fair bit of chaos. Sydney had it very bad. The dust is now headed for Brisbane -- 1000 kilometers north.

See Sydney turns red: dust storm blankets city at the Sydney Morning Herald for more.
Quite a dust storm. Apparently Brisbane got it too.

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/national/brisbanes-cbd-cloaked-in-dust/20090923-g0x8.html

Such dust isn't good for jet engines.

lisab said:
I don't think it's ever good to breathe in dust, but if they wear a dust mask outside, unless there's something special about Brisbane dust, it would probably be okay.

I should go buy stock in whatever kinds of filters they use for A/C and furnaces in Australia! Everyone will need to replace those very soon!

All the pictures I've seen make Sydney look like Mars!

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7549/lydia20cole20toowoomba2.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4118/117988mainimagefeature3.jpg

sylas said:
Quite. Actually, big storms like this are not unusual. What's unusual is when they get all the way down to big cities like Melbourne or Sydney. In towards the center where they originate they are quite common. You also get big duststorms in plenty of other places around the world; and they are certainly impressive if you can see them coming in. In 1983 I did not see it arriving, unfortunately. I just looked out the office window and noticed it was nighttime already. At 3pm.

The comparison with an apocalypse is inevitable if you aren't used to them; it is really freaky. But it's just dust.

This is fun. Here are some more photos. I've attached thumbnails, and you link to the page for more.

Awesome photos of duststorms in the 1930s in Texas: http://www.weru.ksu.edu/new_weru/multimedia/dustbowl/dustbowlpics.html .
View attachment 20666

You still get them: The May 29 2004 duststorm, Kansas.
View attachment 20668

Iraq: Mother of all Dust Storms.
View attachment 20667

What causes them just highwinds? I guess its similar to a whiteout around where I live (sometimes these occur with no snow storms occurring lol)

Sorry! said:
What causes them just highwinds? I guess its similar to a whiteout around where I live (sometimes these occur with no snow storms occurring lol)

The wikipedia seems to have a good introduction to the Causes of Dust Storms. Basically, yes. High winds. What was unusual in the recent Australian event was not just the high wind, but the weather conditions which allowed the storm to travel thousands of kilometers and reach the big urban centers.

If you must know Almost all the outback dust in Australia contains a small amount of Vitamin C.

Rohan11221 said:
If you must know Almost all the outback dust in Australia contains a small amount of Vitamin C.
and iron.

What caused the massive dust storm in Australia?

The massive dust storm in Australia was caused by a combination of factors such as strong winds, drought conditions, and land use practices. The winds picked up dry soil and debris from the drought-stricken land and carried it across the continent.

How big was the dust storm in Australia?

The dust storm in Australia was estimated to be over 500 kilometers wide and 1,000 kilometers long. It covered an area of approximately 500,000 square kilometers, which is equivalent to the size of Spain and France combined.

What were the effects of the dust storm on the environment and health?

The dust storm had significant impacts on both the environment and health. It caused air pollution, reduced visibility, and deposited large amounts of dust and debris on land, water bodies, and infrastructure. The dust also posed a health hazard, especially for those with respiratory conditions.

How common are dust storms in Australia?

Dust storms are relatively common in Australia, particularly in the arid and semi-arid regions. However, the severity and frequency of dust storms have increased in recent years due to climate change and human activities such as land clearing and agriculture.

What measures can be taken to mitigate the impacts of dust storms in Australia?

To mitigate the impacts of dust storms in Australia, measures can be taken at both the individual and government level. These include planting vegetation to stabilize soil, implementing sustainable land management practices, reducing emissions from industries, and providing resources for dust control and monitoring.