Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Massive particles in SR

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    I don't have any SR texts to hand, and was wondering if someone could prove the following conjecture:

all particles with positive rest-mass must move at speed less than c.

I understand that there are a multitude of physical reasons that support the above conjecture. But is there a good (mathematical) reason why the boundary condition at [itex]\sigma = 0[/itex] (not [itex]\tau,[/itex] as that becomes a useless parameter in this case) the particle cannot be travelling at c already?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Surely that's a misprint- you meant "if someone could prove that all particles with positive rest-mass must move at speed less than c".

An object with positive rest-mass, moving at speed c would have infinite gravitational mass, disrupting the entire universe!

4. Sep 10, 2006 #3
    Thank you for the correction; I have subsequently corrected my original post.

I am aware of the various physical arguments for the above conjecture. Howeever, I would prefer an answer relying on the mathematical machinery of SR only...

5. Sep 10, 2006 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are probably many demonstrations of this... which may or may not be satisfactory to you.

One approach is this:
    a particle with positive rest-mass has a future-timelike 4-velocity, which means that its tangent vector always points into the interior of its future light cone... it can't travel at the speed of light.

Another approach:
    in terms of the rapidity parameter, that is, the Minkowski arc-length on the future unit hyperbola,
    the asymptotic point corresponding to its light-cone is infinitely far away from any point on that hyperbola, corresponding to the tip of a future-timelike 4-vector.

6. Sep 10, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "mathematical machinery" of SR? Like the Lorenz transformation formulas? That's exactly what says that if a body with non-zero rest mass were to go at light speed, its relativistic mass would be infinite. No such infinite mass has ever been observed!

7. Sep 10, 2006 #6
    Well, the "infinite gravitational mass" argument doesn't really answer your question because you said: is there a good (mathematical) reason why the ... the particle cannot be travelling at c already?

To answer your question, there is nothing in SR's postulates that prevents "faster than light" particles. In fact, they have been written about quite a bit (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyons for an introduction). However if you allow "physical arguements", I believe they would destroy an "invariant" concept of causality.

Some consider the notion of time order so important in physics, that they feel this DOES count as violating SR ( http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Tachyon.html ). However, many believe the fundemental equations of physics make no distinction of time order (all current fundemental laws already have this feature). So I would argue that strictly SR doesn't require the non-existance of tachyons (its postulates don't preclude it), but to preserve an "invariant" causality they would require you to adopt the notion of a "preferred" frame. Some physicists even go so far as to argue that since the physics would still be the same in each frame, it is just a "reinterpretation" of events, not a break of causality (but that sounds to me more like redefining the word).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  8. Sep 11, 2006 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Using the definitions of relativistic momentum and energy

[tex]p = \frac{m_0 v}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{m_0 c^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

one can derive the following expression for the speed:

[tex]\frac{v}{c} = \frac{pc}{E}[/tex]

Going a step further, using [itex]E^2 = (pc)^2 + (m_0 c^2)^2[/itex], gives us

[tex]\frac{v}{c} = \frac{\sqrt{E^2 - (m_0 c^2)^2}}{E} = \sqrt{1 - \left(\frac{m_0 c^2}{E}\right)^2}[/tex]

Therefore, if [itex]m_0 > 0[/itex], then [itex]v/c < 1[/itex], that is, [itex]v < c[/itex].

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  9. Sep 11, 2006 #8
    Thanks for all your responses. I have some further questions.

robphy:
    I liked your first approach (and not entirely sure if I understood your second approach). However it led to the following question: why must all massive particles move on timelike paths?

jtbell:
    Haven't your definitions for p and E assumed that the particle was massive in the first place (thus ensuring that v < c)? I ask this because those definitions of p and E don't work for relativistic particles.

---

I understand that particles on timelike/spacelike/null paths remain on timelike/spacelike/null paths. I suppose, then, my new question is: is there a mathematical reason (in the context of SR kinematics only) why all massive particles are travelling along timelike paths in the first place?

10. Sep 11, 2006 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I think in the second sentence you meant to say "massless" rather than "relativistic."

Nevertheless, your original question was specifically about massive particles!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?