Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Massive vector field from CG coefficients

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    I'm currently reading Weinberg, see http://books.google.com/books?id=3ws6RJzqisQC&lpg=PA207&ots=Cu9twmTMTE&pg=PA207#v=onepage&q&f=false" for the relevant section.

In §5.3, the coefficient functions at zero momentum (or polarisation vectors) are unique up to a Lorentz transformation and scale factor. Looking around, I've noticed a lot of other authors, Ryder for one, use (1,0,0,0), (0,1,0,0) and (0,0,1,0), which aren't related to Weinberg's vectors by a Lorentz transformation and scale factor. These are the same vectors you get if you use the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients as in §5.7 for a (1,0) field. The problem is the imaginary parts in Eq. (5.3.25). You can't even make all the vectors real up to a phase, to be absorbed by the normalisation.

I'm also unsure how to pass from the pair of indices a,b to a single index l, but that's a different (though related) problem and shouldn't be an issue for the (1,0) representation where b only takes the value 0.

Any light shed on this would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted