Massive vector (Proca) propagator

In summary, Zee's book on QFT gives the result on page 13, as if it were trivial, but I can't do the calculation (satisfactorily).
CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi all,
I'm stuck with this following problem:

Homework Statement

Consider the Proca action,
[tex] S[A_\mu] = \int \, \mathrm d^4x \left[ - \frac14 F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu} + \frac12 m^2 A_\mu A^\mu \right] [/tex]
where [itex]F_{\mu\nu} = 2 \partial_{[\mu} A_{\nu]}[/itex] is the anti-symmetric electromagnetic
field tensor.

Derive the propagator for the vector field [itex]A_\mu[/itex].

Homework Equations

I did a Fourier transform to get
[tex] \left[ (- k^2 + m^2) g^{\mu\nu} + k^\mu k^\nu \right] \tilde D_{\nu\lambda}(k) = \delta^\mu_\lambda. [/tex] (*)

Zee's book on QFT gives the result on page 13, as if it were trivial, but I can't do the calculation (satisfactorily).

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to follow the hint in the question: "the calculation involves deriving an identity for [itex]k^\nu \tilde D_{\nu\mu}[/itex]".
I contracted (*) with [itex]k_\mu[/itex] which got me
[tex]k^\nu \tilde D_{\nu\lambda} = k_\lambda[/tex]
or (contracting with [itex]k^\lambda[/itex])
[tex]k^\lambda k^\nu D_{\nu\lambda} = k^2[/tex]
but I still didn't really see how to solve for [itex]\tilde D_{\nu\lambda}[/itex].

Likes phoenix95
Physics news on Phys.org
I get

[tex]k^\nu \tilde D_{\nu\lambda} = \frac{k_\lambda}{m^2},[/tex]

and then I think everything works out okay.

Likes phoenix95
Thanks, I'll check that calculation.
My problem was how to extract the propagator from that contraction, though.

Anyway, let me get some sleep now, as it's 1:30 :smile:

CompuChip said:
Thanks, I'll check that calculation.
My problem was how to extract the propagator from that contraction, though.

Anyway, let me get some sleep now, as it's 1:30 :smile:

Substitute the identity and then contract with the metric.

I checked my earlier calculation and the 1/m^2 missing was just a typo.
Also, I see what you mean now and it turns out to be quite easy indeed.

Thank you very much George!

I am having the same problem.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by substituting the identity?

Edit: scratch that. I figured it out.

Last edited:

What is a Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator?

A Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator is a mathematical tool used to describe the propagation of a massive vector field in quantum field theory. It is a type of propagator that is used to calculate the probability of a massive vector particle propagating from one point to another.

How is a Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator different from other propagators?

A Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator is different from other propagators because it describes the behavior of a massive vector field, whereas other propagators may describe the behavior of other types of particles, such as scalar or fermion particles. Additionally, the Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator takes into account the mass of the vector particle, which can affect its behavior.

What is the equation for a Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator?

The equation for a Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator is a modified version of the Feynman propagator, which is used to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another. The specific equation for a Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator depends on the specific properties of the vector field being described, such as its mass and spin.

What are some applications of the Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator?

The Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator has applications in various areas of physics, including particle physics, quantum field theory, and cosmology. It is used to study the behavior of vector particles, such as W and Z bosons, which are important in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is also used in theoretical models of the early universe to explain the behavior of vector fields during the inflationary period.

How is the Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator used in experiments?

The Massive Vector (Proca) Propagator is used in experiments by comparing its predictions to the results of particle collisions or other measurements. If the predictions of the propagator match the experimental results, it provides evidence for the existence and behavior of massive vector particles. This can help physicists better understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.