How did the massive water line explosion occur?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a video on YouTube showing a drainage line exploding outside the Toronto Skydome. The cause of the explosion is unknown, but it could possibly be due to air compressibility and an inadequate drain venting system. Some commenters suggest that the pressure test was done incorrectly, with the purge at the lowest point, which can lead to explosions. This highlights the importance of proper pressure testing techniques.
Engineering news on Phys.org
111111 said:
I saw this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDfZdfeJ1nc&feature=related . Does anyone know how this happened? I read through some of the comments and no one seems to have a good explanation.
THis is outside the Toronto Skydome during the 7th inning stretch.

My guess right now is that it was a drainage line that was fed by hundreds or more street drains located at a higher altitude which caused the water at the bottom to be under huge pressure, except that doesn't explain why it did it in surges where it was completely calm and then suddenly exploded. Unless DaveC426913 is correct :rolleyes:.

Or if they have some kind of system that will reroute the water if there is too much coming down one drain, and it got rerouted to this one, that could explain the surges.

Last edited:
The surges were possibly from air compressibility, with an inadequate drain venting system, plus a huge rain-storm.

Unfortunately I can't get Youtube stuff here at work. It was a drainage line that blew?

Like momentun Waves said it was a air compressibility problem I'm sure. I saw a 1200 Meters pipe, 400mm diameter 0,6Mpa explode due to the fact that when they do the hidraulic test, the put the purge in the lower level area and the pump in the high one. I't opposite actually, but the chief of that construction was an architect. Need to ad more?

when you have bubbles in a pipe and by Water column you have pressure. If you don't have an air exhaust you are creating a cannon

Pablo

They put the purge at the lowest point? Oh man. There's someone that needs to revisit 8th grade science class.

That's a great example of why we pressure test with water and not air. Of course, if you can't get rid of all the air...

1. What caused the massive water line explosion?

The cause of the explosion could be due to various reasons such as aging infrastructure, corrosion, external damage, or human error. Further investigation and analysis would be needed to determine the exact cause.

2. How much damage was caused by the explosion?

The extent of damage caused by the explosion would depend on the severity and size of the explosion. It could range from minor damage to nearby structures and utilities to significant destruction of property and infrastructure.

3. Was anyone injured or killed in the explosion?

This information would vary depending on the specific incident. In some cases, there may be injuries or fatalities, while in others there may be no reported injuries.

4. How will the explosion be contained and repaired?

The first step would be to shut off the water supply and contain any remaining leaks. Once the site is deemed safe, a thorough assessment and repair plan would be developed. This may involve replacing damaged sections of the water line or repairing any damaged infrastructure.

5. Can a similar explosion be prevented in the future?

Efforts can be made to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future by regularly inspecting and maintaining water lines, replacing aging infrastructure, and implementing safety measures. However, it is impossible to completely eliminate the risk of any potential explosion.