Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Massive water line explosion

1. Dec 30, 2007 #1
    I saw this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDfZdfeJ1nc&feature=related . Does anyone know how this happened? I read through some of the comments and no one seems to have a good explanation.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2007 #2

Gold Member

4. Dec 31, 2007 #3
    My guess right now is that it was a drainage line that was fed by hundreds or more street drains located at a higher altitude which caused the water at the bottom to be under huge pressure, except that doesn't explain why it did it in surges where it was completly calm and then suddenly exploded. Unless DaveC426913 is correct :rolleyes:.

Or if they have some kind of system that will reroute the water if there is too much coming down one drain, and it got rerouted to this one, that could explain the surges.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  5. Dec 31, 2007 #4
    The surges were possibly from air compressibility, with an inadequate drain venting system, plus a huge rain-storm.
  6. Jan 2, 2008 #5

Science Advisor

Unfortunately I can't get Youtube stuff here at work. It was a drainage line that blew?
  7. Jan 2, 2008 #6
    Like momentun Waves said it was a air compressibility problem i'm sure. I saw a 1200 Meters pipe, 400mm diameter 0,6Mpa explode due to the fact that when they do the hidraulic test, the put the purge in the lower level area and the pump in the high one. I't opposite actually, but the chief of that construction was an architect. Need to ad more?

when you have bubbles in a pipe and by Water column you have pressure. If you don't have an air exhaust you are creating a cannon

8. Jan 2, 2008 #7

Science Advisor

They put the purge at the lowest point? Oh man. There's someone that needs to revisit 8th grade science class.

That's a great example of why we pressure test with water and not air. Of course, if you can't get rid of all the air...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?