Masters in Math for 3rd Year Math Student - How to Get In

• Thread starter rad0786
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Master
In summary: I don't know. If I were single, I would love to be at Brock (where I am now).Lots of hot girls here. There is so many good looking girls here so that you never have to look back to check one out because there is already another right in front of...you.I think it ultimately comes down to what you're looking for in a school. If you're looking for a really academically rigorous program, then you might not be satisfied with Waterloo. If you're looking for a more social atmosphere, then I think Brock would be a great choice.
rad0786
I am a 3rd year math student (taking mostly applied math courses)

I really want to do a masters...my GPA is between B+ and A-.

B+ is usually the required MINIMUM so I need to pull my socks up :uhh:

So is it really hard to get into Grad school? I'm streesed because I don't think ill make it... ( I also don't have any academic references)

So tell me, what do grad schools look at? should I apply to like 10 different schools? could I do only class work and no research?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there's no doubt you'll be able to get into a grad school with a B+ average...but it might be tough to get into a TOP Grad school without good gre scores, letters of recommendation and some research experience.

Damn...

I just want to go as far as a master's and THAT's IT! I don't really care how I get it...but I would like to do it!

Another Question:

Does a Math Major HAVE to do his/her masters in MATH?

Is it possible to do a masters in an outside field?

rad0786 said:
Another Question:

Does a Math Major HAVE to do his/her masters in MATH?

Is it possible to do a masters in an outside field?

you can certainly do a masters in a different yet related field, such as physics. However, chances are you will need to take some additional undergrad classes in the process.

leright said:
you can certainly do a masters in a different yet related field, such as physics. However, chances are you will need to take some additional undergrad classes in the process.

If you haven't taken any physics during undergrad, it would probably be one of the most difficult things to switch into. Understanding mathematics will help in physics (it can also cause some frustration, given how things are typically presented in physics classes!), but overall it's an entirely different ballgame.

Last edited:
I would NEVER consider doing a masters in Physics.

Infact, I would NEVER think about taking an undergrad Physics course.

(I know this is a PHYSICS FORUM, but I'm here because of the Math!)

I'd say you should be able to get in somewhere, assuming you aren't coming from an online school. :tongue2:

I'm also a 3rd year Mathematics major and I'm hoping to keep my average at about A-. I'll do my best to bring it up to an A though.

I'm not too concerned about going to the best university although I can probably get in (Waterloo), I'm not interested in that school.

Anyways, I'm sure you're doing just fine. Try to participate more in class and keep that A-. You'll get in somewhere. :approve:

Jason,

I'm assuming you go to a university located in Ontario?

I personally wouldn't go to Waterloo because their are no girls there :uhh:
(Oh man...that must be one of the worst reasons to choose a school)

But honestly, Waterloo isn't my preference because I like the bigger cities like Toronto!

Well... i hope a grade >B+ will get me into something

rad0786 said:
I personally wouldn't go to Waterloo because their are no girls there :uhh:
(Oh man...that must be one of the worst reasons to choose a school)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That was exactly one of my reasons I didn't want to share. Also, the campus is pretty terrible too.

Waterloo sucks the life right out of life.

JasonRox said:

That was exactly one of my reasons I didn't want to share. Also, the campus is pretty terrible too.

So true...

I'd rather have a life (a social life) on a good campus than education...

JasonRox said:

But he's already a math major! :tongue:

JasonRox said:

Yeah there really aren't any girls here AT ALL

The town isn't that great either, so I stay on campus pretty much all the time...but for me I like the school enough so far that I feel like it's somewhat of a fair tradeoff :P

Sisyphus said:
Yeah there really aren't any girls here AT ALL

The town isn't that great either, so I stay on campus pretty much all the time...but for me I like the school enough so far that I feel like it's somewhat of a fair tradeoff :P

I don't know. If I were single, I would love to be at Brock (where I am now).

Lots of hot girls here. There is so many good looking girls here so that you never have to look back to check one out because there is already another right in front of you.

Poop-Loops said:
But he's already a math major! :tongue:

I'm a mathematics major, and now more social than I ever have been. I also write a comic strip for the school paper every week. I have to write one tomorrow morning. :uhh:

Comics aren't due until Monday. WOOHOO!

Work tomorrow though. Hell. I only work 8 hours a week now.

JasonRox said:
I don't know. If I were single, I would love to be at Brock (where I am now).

Lots of hot girls here. There is so many good looking girls here so that you never have to look back to check one out because there is already another right in front of you.

:cry: :cry:

What is a Masters in Math for 3rd Year Math Student?

A Masters in Math for 3rd Year Math Student is a graduate level program that focuses on advanced mathematics topics and prepares students for careers in academia, industry, or government. It is typically completed after a student has completed their undergraduate degree in math or a related field.

What are the requirements for admission into a Masters in Math program?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the university, but in general, most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in math or a related field, a strong academic record, and letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require applicants to have taken specific math courses or to have a minimum GPA.

What can I expect to learn in a Masters in Math program?

A Masters in Math program typically covers advanced topics in mathematics such as algebra, calculus, geometry, and statistics. Students may also have the opportunity to specialize in a particular area of math, such as applied mathematics, pure mathematics, or mathematical modeling. The program may also include research projects or a thesis component.

How can I increase my chances of getting accepted into a Masters in Math program?

To increase your chances of getting accepted into a Masters in Math program, it is important to have a strong academic record, including high grades in math courses. It can also be helpful to participate in research projects, internships, or other relevant experiences. Additionally, getting strong letters of recommendation and writing a compelling personal statement can also make a difference.

What career opportunities are available with a Masters in Math?

A Masters in Math can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including roles in academia, research, finance, data analysis, and more. Graduates may also pursue further education, such as a PhD in math or a related field. The skills acquired in a Masters in Math program, such as critical thinking and problem solving, are highly valued in many industries and can lead to a wide range of career options.