1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master in Math Question

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    I am a 3rd year math student (taking mostly applied math courses)

I really want to do a masters...my GPA is between B+ and A-.

B+ is usually the required MINIMUM so I need to pull my socks up :uhh:

So is it really hard to get into Grad school? I'm streesed because I don't think ill make it... ( I also don't have any academic references)

So tell me, what do grad schools look at? should I apply to like 10 different schools? could I do only class work and no research?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2006 #2
    Well, there's no doubt you'll be able to get into a grad school with a B+ average....but it might be tough to get into a TOP Grad school without good gre scores, letters of recommendation and some research experience.
  4. Oct 5, 2006 #3

I just want to go as far as a master's and THAT's IT! I don't really care how I get it...but I would like to do it!
  5. Oct 5, 2006 #4
    Another Question:

Does a Math Major HAVE to do his/her masters in MATH?

Is it possible to do a masters in an outside feild?
  6. Oct 5, 2006 #5
    you can certainly do a masters in a different yet related field, such as physics. However, chances are you will need to take some additional undergrad classes in the process.
  7. Oct 6, 2006 #6
    If you haven't taken any physics during undergrad, it would probably be one of the most difficult things to switch into. Understanding mathematics will help in physics (it can also cause some frustration, given how things are typically presented in physics classes!), but overall it's an entirely different ballgame.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  8. Oct 6, 2006 #7
    I would NEVER consider doing a masters in Physics.

Infact, I would NEVER think about taking an undergrad Physics course.

(I know this is a PHYSICS FORUM, but i'm here because of the Math!)
  9. Oct 6, 2006 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd say you should be able to get in somewhere, assuming you aren't coming from an online school. :tongue2:

I'm also a 3rd year Mathematics major and I'm hoping to keep my average at about A-. I'll do my best to bring it up to an A though.

I'm not too concerned about going to the best university although I can probably get in (Waterloo), I'm not interested in that school.

Anyways, I'm sure you're doing just fine. Try to participate more in class and keep that A-. You'll get in somewhere. :approve:
  10. Oct 6, 2006 #9

I'm assuming you go to a university located in Ontario?

I personally wouldn't go to Waterloo because their are no girls there :uhh:
    (Oh man...that must be one of the worst reasons to choose a school)

But honestly, Waterloo isn't my preference because I like the bigger cities like Toronto!

Well... i hope a grade >B+ will get me into something
  11. Oct 6, 2006 #10

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That was exactly one of my reasons I didn't want to share. Also, the campus is pretty terrible too.

Waterloo sucks the life right out of life.
  12. Oct 6, 2006 #11
    So true...

I'd rather have a life (a social life) on a good campus than education...
  13. Oct 7, 2006 #12
    But he's already a math major! :tongue:
  14. Oct 7, 2006 #13

Yeah there really aren't any girls here AT ALL

The town isn't that great either, so I stay on campus pretty much all the time...but for me I like the school enough so far that I feel like it's somewhat of a fair tradeoff :P
  15. Oct 8, 2006 #14

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know. If I were single, I would love to be at Brock (where I am now).

Lots of hot girls here. There is so many good looking girls here so that you never have to look back to check one out because there is already another right in front of you. :surprised
  16. Oct 8, 2006 #15

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm a mathematics major, and now more social than I ever have been. I also write a comic strip for the school paper every week. I have to write one tomorrow morning. :uhh:
  17. Oct 8, 2006 #16

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Comics aren't due until Monday. WOOHOO!

Work tomorrow though. Hell. I only work 8 hours a week now.
  18. Oct 8, 2006 #17

:cry: :cry:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?