Can I Get Accepted into a Medical Physics Master's Program with a Low GRE Score?

In summary, the speaker is an international student with a BSc in Technologist and is looking for a Master's degree in medical physics in the US. They have a low GRE score and are asking for guidance on schools that may accept this score. They also mention having a scholarship as an important factor in their application. A list of accredited medical physics programs is recommended, as well as contacting the organization for information on non-accredited programs. It is noted that having a BSc in radiologic technology may require additional courses before being accepted into a MS program, and that non-accredited programs may still be reputable.
MRI
Hello,

This my first topic int this forum. I am an international student here in US. I have BSc as a Technologist and I am looking for master in medical physic. I would like to ask you about my chances here to get acceptance in US. I got low score in GRE ( 910 ) with 660 in Math.

So , can you guide me to schools that might accept this GRE score.

I think the most important thing in my application is that I have scholarship.

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
For a master list of accredited medical physics programs check out:
http://www.campep.org/campeplstgrad.asp

I'm not sure what a technologist BSc is. Generally you need a physics degree or equivalent to get in and the programs are competative. I don't know about GRE requirements though - I'm Canadian and most of our programs don't require that you write it (although you may have to if you have a degree from outside the country).

With a BSc in (radiologic?) technology you will still have a lot of courses to make up before you can get into a MS program. If the GRE is in physics I guess it shows you that you have deficiencies. You might go to http://www.campep.org/contact.asp
for accredited graduate program information. Also check this list for non-accredited universities which have MS Med Phys programs. http://www.sdampp.org/programs.asp
Non accredited does not mean it is a poor program just that it may not have applied for accreditation or does not fullfill all the requirements of the accreditation process. There are well known medical physicists in charge of many of these programs. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Master in Medical Physics?

A Master in Medical Physics is a graduate degree program that focuses on the application of physics principles to the field of medicine. It prepares students to work as medical physicists, who are responsible for ensuring the safe and effective use of radiation in medical procedures such as cancer treatment and medical imaging.

2. What kind of courses will I take in a Master in Medical Physics program?

The specific courses may vary depending on the university, but typically, students in a Master in Medical Physics program will take courses in areas such as radiation physics, radiation biology, medical imaging, radiation safety, and radiation therapy. They may also have the opportunity to complete hands-on clinical rotations in hospitals or medical facilities.

3. What are the career prospects for graduates of a Master in Medical Physics program?

Graduates of a Master in Medical Physics program can pursue careers in a variety of healthcare settings, including hospitals, cancer centers, and research facilities. They may also work in government agencies or private companies involved in the development and production of medical equipment. The demand for medical physicists is expected to continue to grow as technology and treatments in the medical field advance.

4. Do I need a background in physics to apply for a Master in Medical Physics program?

While a background in physics or a related field is beneficial, it is not always required for admission to a Master in Medical Physics program. Some programs may have prerequisites in areas such as mathematics or biology, but many programs are designed to provide the necessary foundational knowledge in physics for students with diverse backgrounds.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of medical physics during my Master's program?

Yes, many Master in Medical Physics programs offer the opportunity for students to specialize in a particular area of medical physics, such as radiation therapy, medical imaging, or nuclear medicine. This allows students to focus their studies and gain in-depth knowledge and experience in their chosen area of interest.