1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mastering physics again

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    This section I dont understand at all... but the problem is What is the torque tau_B due to force F_vec about the point B? (B is the point at Cartesian coordinates (0, b), located a distance b from the origin along the y axis.)
    Express the torque about point B in terms of F, theta, phi, pi, and/or other given coordinate data. an image can be found at

I put in F*b*sin(pi-(theta)) it noted that I was wrong... I dont understand? and thats just hte beginning of my problems in this section :cry:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The torque "due to force F around point B" is the product the distance from B to the point at which F is applied and the component of F perpendicular to the line from B to the point where F is applied.
  4. Mar 6, 2005 #3
    so b*F*tan(pi-(theta)) ? I still dont understand I know if I do sin(pi-(theta)) Its opp over hyp so it would be parallel to b but Im not sure what trig woudl get it to go perp then
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?