1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mastering Physics

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2
    A factory worker pushes a 29.3 crate a distance of 5.00 along a level floor at constant velocity by pushing downward at an angle of 31.4 below the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and floor is 0.250 .

A) What magnitude of force must the worker apply to move the crate at constant velocity?
    Take the free fall acceleration to be .

B) How much work is done on the crate by this force when the crate is pushed a distance of 5.00 ?

c) How much work is done on the crate by friction during this displacement?

D) How much work is done by the normal force?

E) How much work is done by gravity?

F) What is the total work done on the crate?

4. Mar 7, 2007 #3

Mentz114

Gold Member

No-one will help you if you have not made an attempt to do the problem yourself.

5. Mar 7, 2007 #4
    i have no idea where to even start?

6. Mar 7, 2007 #5
    Just try to grasp the relevant theory. How do we define work? What is friction? What is the equation for friction? etc. Then try to make an attempt to solve it, it's not so difficult.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  7. Mar 7, 2007 #6
    i tried doing 29.3*9.8*.25, anddd then i got 71.785

andd then i did 71.785cos(31.4) and it was wrong and for d n e i got o, i cannot ddddddddddddddddddo the rest

8. Mar 7, 2007 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What part of the question are you attempting? And where did the numbers come from? Please show your working properly (and that means algebraic equations, not just numbers); otherwise, it's very hard to help you!

9. Mar 7, 2007 #8

Mentz114

Gold Member

Try drawing a diagram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?