Is Photonics a Good Field for Independent Research and Career Growth?

In summary, the speakers discuss their interest in pursuing a Masters and PhD in the field of photonics, specifically in relation to new technologies and equipment used in the industry. They also mention top universities and research opportunities in this field, with an emphasis on the importance of English proficiency for graduate students.
unplebeian
Hey, I would like to enter grad school and complete my Masters and PhD. Eventually I would like to work for the R&D dept. of a company.

Photonics was one of the choises that I had as I am interested in the new tech. that integrates photons in I.C.'s. Unfortunately I cannot find a lot of material on it such as what kind of equipment they use etc. I am in the power electronic design field right now so this will be a big change. Is there oppty. to pursue independent research also in this field (as apposed to aerospace where you generally have to work in groups.)

Any info. passed will be greately appreciated with regards to top universities offering the program and more info about the field itself (I've been to wikipedia!)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that Rice University has an NSF sponsored IGERT in nanophotonics; you might want to do a search.

University of Central Florida's CREOL is pretty highly regarded and has a lot of industrial ties. You should see if any of their research lines up with what you want to do.

Hey am also looking for research in Photonics and Biophotonics at any university in this world. But I don't have any english proficiency test score (In my all education, medium of instruction and communication in english onlly). Without this condition, Have you seen any offer for PhD ... please inform me

unplebeian said:
Unfortunately I cannot find a lot of material on it such as what kind of equipment they use etc.

Tube ovens, lasers, and SEM probes :biggrin:. It depends on the specifics of the research, really.

unplebeian said:
Is there oppty. to pursue independent research also in this field

Sort of, it depends. There's a lot of cooperation in any scientific effort. But the "professor + grad students" model is seen frequently, yes.

The two places I've personally had contact with in this area (through colloquiums & conferences) are Rice and the University of Washington. They both sounded pretty interesting. For UW in particular, I know a number of research areas that could apply, e.g. photonics, nanotechnology, and solid-state physics.

nandha08 said:
Hey am also looking for research in Photonics and Biophotonics at any university in this world. But I don't have any english proficiency test score (In my all education, medium of instruction and communication in english onlly). Without this condition, Have you seen any offer for PhD ... please inform me

I don't really understand your wording, but you will probably always need to take the test for English Proficiency. Grad students typically participate in a teaching or research assistantship. Grad students that teach and have poor English are a huge burden to their students, and research requires frequent coordination with your fellow researchers. There isn't really a way around this requirement.

What is photonics and why is it important?

Photonics is the study and use of light to create and manipulate information, energy, and materials. It involves the use of photons, or particles of light, to develop technologies such as lasers, optical fibers, and solar cells. Photonics is important because it has a wide range of applications in fields such as telecommunications, medicine, and energy production. It also has the potential to revolutionize industries such as computing and transportation.

What is the difference between a Masters and PhD in Photonics?

A Masters in Photonics typically involves coursework and a research project, while a PhD in Photonics is a more advanced degree that requires original research and the completion of a dissertation. A Masters degree can be completed in 1-2 years, while a PhD can take 4-6 years to complete. Additionally, a PhD in Photonics allows for a deeper understanding of the field and can lead to career opportunities in research and academia.

What are the job prospects for someone with a Masters or PhD in Photonics?

Both a Masters and PhD in Photonics can lead to a variety of job opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and healthcare. With a Masters degree, one can work as a photonics engineer or researcher, while a PhD can lead to more advanced positions such as a university professor or a research scientist in a government or private organization.

What skills and knowledge are necessary for a successful career in Photonics?

To succeed in the field of Photonics, one should have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and optics. Knowledge of programming and computer-aided design (CAD) software is also important, as well as hands-on experience with laboratory equipment and techniques. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential for a successful career in Photonics.

Are there any specific research areas within Photonics that are in high demand?

Some of the current research areas in Photonics that are in high demand include integrated photonics, which focuses on the miniaturization of optical devices for use in communication and computing technologies, and biophotonics, which applies photonics to the study and treatment of biological systems. Other emerging areas of interest include quantum photonics, smart materials and sensors, and renewable energy technologies.