1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's degree abroad

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1

ibc

Hello

I'm soon starting my third (and last) year to my bachelor's degree in math (primary, and a bit physics too) in a non-English-speaking country, and I'm thinking of doing a master's degree abroad (by abroad I mean USA, UK, or anyplace where they speak English)
    So I've been wondering how possible it is to get a scholarship for a master's degree (in math) abroad, and what kind of tests I have to take to get it?
    Also, where can I find out all the little details (like, what kind of achievements I must present, and in which university)
    I'm sure it's nice to study in one of the top universities, but I am realistic, and more than willing to study in any of the "less prestigious" ones, the only problem is, I only know by name these extremely prestigious and famous universities. So how do I find a university (with decent math institution) that is willing to give me a master's degree scholarship?

Just to be sure, where I come from it's almost automatic (unless your grades are insufficient) that doing a master's degree = doing it with a scholarship, which means you become a university employee (being a grader, or Teacher Assistant).
    So, is it like that in the rest of the world as well? or I might get "accepted to do a master's degree" but without a scholarship (or "job in the university"), which is not the situation I'm hoping for.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2010 #2
    The chances of getting a scholarship to do a master's in the UK are slim, but slightly better for an international student over a UK student.

You may check the universities funding website, and most universities have various funding opportunities for international students. You may have to source funding from a different place than the uni, and there are also quite a few different establishments that will give international students money to study in the UK. I wouldn't guarantee on being funded though!

I think the USA has better prospects, where you get funded to do a master's as part of a master's + PhD packages, but I'll let someone from the US explain it!

There are some websites on which maintain databases of funding in the UK, so you could search for funding available to international students for math master's, for example. Here is one: http://www.postgraduatestudentships.co.uk/?gclid=CNL0vNvg6qMCFcH-2AodYA0A4Q

May I ask what country you are from?

Thanks
    Scott

4. Sep 3, 2010 #3

ibc

Thanks for the information.
    So by what you say, most master's degree students are not doing it with a scholarship, in the UK? (I'm only referring to master's degree in exact science, of course when it comes to law school, medicine and such, most people need the degree to get a job elsewhere, thus want to pay for it)
    And I was probably referring to the master's + PhD package, (I find it reasonable that the university would finance you during your high degrees in math, since it's very not likely to find a math-related job elsewhere, and also universities (should?) want to support people to continue research.

It doesn't seem like there are any math related things in the page you put.

I'm from Israel, studying at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. I think it's a respected university, and has a world-wide respected math institution, the question is if a degree there (with good enough grades) is enough to get into a university abroad (I think that naturally a US university would ascribe greater significance to a US bachelor's degree than a foreign one, for example).

So I'd be glad to hear more about possibilities in the US or Canada (or any other english speaking country, as mentioned. does anybody know if there's a decent exact science institution in Australia \ New Zealand ?)

by the way, I do have a US citizenship, if it matters? my problem is how much my israeli degree is worth abroad, or what kind of extra tests one must take to study abroad (how problematic is it for american universities that my first degree was done in an awkward right-to-left written language)?

Thanks again

5. Sep 3, 2010 #4
    There are a very few specific master's courses that are funded by scholarships, but these are mostly engineering/technology based. Apart from these, most people in every field (science, medicine, math, law, development, languages, psychology, etc, etc) are not supported by scholarships.

Also, the 1+3 master's+PhD is virtually non existent in this country. It is the exception rather than the rule.

That was an example of the kind of tools that are available to find postgrad funding. Several websites like this exist since it can be quite difficult in this country. The best way is to search the websites of the universities you are interested in for postgrad funding pages (this is very tedious, but necessary). If you'd like a list of institutions in the UK, you could try somewhere like the guardian university guide (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/universityguide).

This is not necessarily true. I think they focus more on the strength of the institution than the country the institution is in, so you are in a good position in this regard.

Your university seems quite well respected, so your Israeli degree is worth the same as a degree from a similarly well respected US institution.

Universities in the US (and the UK, and probably Australia/Canada/New Zealand) will require you to take an English test if it is not your first language. The language your first degree was in doesn't matter at all.

All US institutions require you to take something called the general GRE, and a subject specific (math in your case) GRE, before you will be considered for postgrad studies. The GRE is explained on the GRE website.

Thanks
    Scott

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook