1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master's Degree in Applied Physics?

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I've searched for a thread about this topic, but I haven't found anything that directly answered my question. I will be studying engineering physics at Ohio State this fall and I'm not entirely sure if I will need graduate school to get the most out of my degree. The two areas I'm interested in most are photonics/optics (designing lasers, photodiodes etc.) and nano-composite materials (I'm not too sure about specifics since I haven't started classes yet). Both of these areas fall under most schools' applied physics programs, I was just curious if an applied physics master's means anything. I don't particularly want to get a PhD, at least not yet, but I understand that to get better positions/salaries in companies or labs, it helps to have an advanced degree. I just want to know if it would be better to just go all the way and get a PhD in physics/engineering, or if a Master's in applied physics would work? Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted